Extremely Lethargic - Green Poop - Mite Infestation

Myavia

Chirping
May 25, 2020
Hi

My 6 1/2 month old Polish rooster is not doing good at all.

This morning, I noticed green poop from my Polish trio. I had never seen this from them before. I panicked and googled what it could be. I ended up closely inspecting my chickens and noticed mites on them. I had never ever noticed mites on them before, but I’d never thoroughly checked. My other chickens have mites on them, but my Polish rooster is completely infested. I bathed him in Dawn soap, but it has not eliminated even half of the mites. He is having trouble keeping his head up, dropping it down slowly and then pulling it back up every few seconds. I noticed crust on his eyes a few hours ago, but I don’t see any now. He has luckily been eating, and I’ve been feeding him some electrolyte water. About 30 minutes ago he was laying down, not even keeping himself up. I thought he was going to die there, but now he is standing again and taking the odd step. What can I do to save my boy? And if it’s too late, what can I do to make sure my other polishes don’t die? One of my girls is acting lethargic too, but not nearly as bad, but I fear she’s going to be this way soon.

Attached are photos of some of his poops today.
FB220043-7196-4C28-94E0-F00282DF5B00.jpeg
DE7158F5-5F13-4ECA-BDC1-9EE52C190C61.jpeg

Hi

My 6 1/2 month old Polish rooster is not doing good at all.

This morning, I noticed green poop from my Polish trio. I had never seen this from them before. I panicked and googled what it could be. I ended up closely inspecting my chickens and noticed mites on them. I had never ever noticed mites on them before, but I’d never thoroughly checked. My other chickens have mites on them, but my Polish rooster is completely infested. I bathed him in Dawn soap, but it has not eliminated even half of the mites. He is having trouble keeping his head up, dropping it down slowly and then pulling it back up every few seconds. I noticed crust on his eyes a few hours ago, but I don’t see any now. He has luckily been eating, and I’ve been feeding him some electrolyte water. About 30 minutes ago he was laying down, not even keeping himself up. I thought he was going to die there, but now he is standing again and taking the odd step. What can I do to save my boy? And if it’s too late, what can I do to make sure my other polishes don’t die? One of my girls is acting lethargic too, but not nearly as bad, but I fear she’s going to be this way soon.

Attached are photos of some of his poops today.View attachment 2466955View attachment 2466957
Where are you located in the world?
Please post some photos of the rooster.
How old is he?
What do you feed?
Can you get some Permethrin spray or dust to treat him. If he's infested with mites, this is part of the problem - they need to be gotten rid of.

Not holding his head up is a big concern. I would see if he will take some fluids. Once hydrated then see if he can eat.

Is it cold where you are? You gave him a bath - is he dried really well before going outside?

Green poop can mean not eating. Are the urates yellow? Can you keep him inside where it’s warm for tonight? (is it night where you are?) My go-to for a sick bird is a soupy baby bird formula with a drizzle of nutridrench (poultry vitamins). Is he on a pellet or crumble of some kind? Can you turn it into a warm wet mash and offer that? Not everyone will agree with this, but in a dire situation, raw egg can provide quick nutrients and fluid.
You will need to kill the mites quickly with permethrin powder or spray as suggested by Wyorp Rock. This sounds pretty urgent. I personally would not leave him be without help of some kind. How many birds do you have and what ages? Is it possible he’s being bullied away from the feed?

I forgot to add that mites could be causing him to be anemic. What color is his comb? I’ve provided finely chopped beef liver to an anemic bird and it did wonders. If you can get this fella to drink and eat, I highly recommend an animal protein treat of some kind... finely chopped leftover meat from dinner (with the salt rinsed off if it’s salty), canned, unsalted sardines, etc.)

Where are you located in the world?
Please post some photos of the rooster.
How old is he?
What do you feed?
Can you get some Permethrin spray or dust to treat him. If he's infested with mites, this is part of the problem - they need to be gotten rid of.

Not holding his head up is a big concern. I would see if he will take some fluids. Once hydrated then see if he can eat.

Is it cold where you are? You gave him a bath - is he dried really well before going outside?

I can get photos in the morning. The mites are bad, but he’s perked up a bit. I’m located in Southern Ontario, Canada. He’s 6 1/2 months old. I feed them layer pellet, scratch feed, and they free range. I forced him to drink some electrolyte water, and he was eating a bit of food on his own. I have left the electrolyte water in his coop. It is -3 Celsius here, but inside the barn is quite a bit warmer. He’s mostly dried.

I forgot to add that mites could be causing him to be anemic. What color is his comb? I’ve provided finely chopped beef liver to an anemic bird and it did wonders. If you can get this fella to drink and eat, I highly recommend an animal protein treat of some kind... finely chopped leftover meat from dinner (with the salt rinsed off if it’s salty), canned, unsalted sardines, etc.)

His comb is still a nice red. I cant force him to eat, only to drink.

Back
Top Bottom