Extremely pointy eggs w/pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pattycake, Jan 12, 2010.

1. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Anyone know what's up with these eggs? The ones on the right are weirdly pointy, so that I can't even come close to shutting the egg carton: (eggs on left are for comparison!)

[​IMG]

I guess I've gotten these on and off during the three years I've had chickens, but lately it seems to have increased. It's not necessarily always the same hen who's doing it, either; got a green pointy the other day, so that was an EE's egg.

Cold weather? No foraging? (They are used to free ranging, but there's a foot of snow outside so they've been staying in.)

I'm a little nervous because a hen who used to lay long narrow eggs died last summer of some mysterious ailment... probably was an internal layer... [​IMG]

2. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

It was cold and she squeezed too hard towards the end. [​IMG]

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It's just one of those things that happens once in awhile. No big deal [​IMG]

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hey, eggs get cone heads too. Just like babies! [​IMG]

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Someone told me once that the more pointy ones will hatch to be roosters. I don't suspect much truth to the statement, but it is an interesting theory nonetheless!!

7. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I have an EE who lays green eggs like that all the time. I have even hatched a couple of them. [​IMG]

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    nhnanna - did the chicks from the pointy eggs end up being roosters? just curious.

9. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Just in the last week I have been getting alot of pointy eggs. Don't know why? But I like the it's been cold and squeezed to hard. [​IMG] Mike

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Maybe you have a couple of aliens disguised as chickens in your coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by