Extremely small chick?

It's clearly a runt, a good couple weeks development behind. The thing is as the others grow they will eat more, they will need less heat but this one will need to eat chick starter for longer and still needs the heat of a 1 week old chick by the looks of it. If he gets the same heat as the rest his development will be stunted even more.

I'd be interested to know what will happen, if it will grow up just fine but a bit delayed, whether it has a genetic defect making it never grow up or whether it will grow up but be really small
Since hes had so much special care compared to the others, i may just keep him. We're growing quite fond of eachother 🥰 I may also add that he gets electrolyte water and Vitamin E daily, mixed with his egg yolk. The incubator stays fairly consistent at 95°, maybe a tad warmer if we have the doors open or air on or something. (I have the see through doors off the incubator so theres plenty of ventilation). Hes getting all the nutrition, hydration, and heat he needs to develop and grow, he just doesn't...

OMG! They are super cute! I’d just keep giving the little guys some extra TLC and see how they do. My BR chick got really sick last year (I suspect a blockage in the crop that led to sour crop issues). I withheld food for a few days and fed her NutriDrench instead (didn’t want to encourage the yeast infection). Anyhoo, by the time she was able to eat solid food again she was smaller than the other smallest one in the group. Now she’s grown and perfectly healthy (and has no boundaries with Mama Chicken because she was coddled while she was sick :lau ). Hopefully your little ones catch up, even if it’s in their own time. Good luck!

OMG! They are super cute! I’d just keep giving the little guys some extra TLC and see how they do. My BR chick got really sick last year (I suspect a blockage in the crop that led to sour crop issues). I withheld food for a few days and fed her NutriDrench instead (didn’t want to encourage the yeast infection). Anyhoo, by the time she was able to eat solid food again she was smaller than the other smallest one in the group. Now she’s grown and perfectly healthy (and has no boundaries with Mama Chicken because she was coddled while she was sick :lau ). Hopefully your little ones catch up, even if it’s in their own time. Good luck!
I'm not worried about the other two, as they brute their way through the bigger chicks now. They have no problems getting to the food and water. They're thriving good. But this little guy... He will stay in the NICU with momma (me) and recieve special care for as long as it takes :) The kids are getting tired of the loud peeps though. He definitely lets you know when he wants something!

I had a chick that also grew so much slower then her siblings, (She is the one in my profile pic) while she wasnt as small as your little one it still seemed like she was a week or more behind in size and feather growth compared to her sisters (and brother)
Here is a comparison between Squirt (the little one) and her sisters
Here was squirt at around a few days old
squirt2.jpg
squirt.jpg

and Here is her sister Dottie at a few days old
dotty.jpg
dotty 2.jpg

and Annabelle
annabelle2.jpg
annabelle.jpg

and Here are the same ones at a week later then the first picture.
Squirt, Dottie then Annabelle.
squirt.jpg
dotty2.jpg
annabelle2.jpg

and Here they are 2 more weeks later
Squirt
squirt.jpg
squirt 2.jpg

Dottie
dottie 3.jpg
dottie 2.jpg

Annabelle
annabelle 3.jpg
annabelle 4.jpg

and now 9 months later squirt has really come into her own and is one of the 2 biggest hens (Dottie is the other) I have and she not only has the most unique feather coloring out of all them but also has some neat feathers behind her head.
Squirt now at 9 months old.
squirt now.jpg

everyone together left to right Squirt, Dottie, Annabelle, Sparky (cockerel), Maverik, and Ziggy.
the whole gang.jpg

Attachments

• dottie 3.jpg
    dottie 3.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 4
  • dottie 2.jpg
    dottie 2.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 2
  • the whole gang.jpg
    the whole gang.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 2
I had a runty chick - a wellsummer. She fell behind the others within a day or so of hatching and ended up about half-size. She was never bullied too badly but sadly, spontaneously died about 16 weeks.
Just have to wait and see IMO.

Back
Top Bottom