Extremely urgent! Severe peck wound

chiki1

Chirping
Jan 6, 2022
I hate to have to post here again this Soon, but we’re not sure what to do. A week ago one of our ducks that is outside had two raw spots on his neck-/head area. We think since he’s not as big as the others, he might’ve gotten caught in the fence. (we got the fence last year and each hole is around an inch or two wide, we’re replacing it this weekend) two days ago I let him outside for a bit, as it was sunny. My mother rushed me outside a few hours later because his wound was open again. When I picked him up the wound had almost tripled in size and was deep. You could see a bit of his skull and there was a hole in between his eyes. We brought him in and put on some powder to stop the bleeding, a liquid bandage, and a small bandage with blue kote on it in case. The wound is silver and you can’t see much now. I’m not sure what we should do, he’s acting normal but almost passed while we were treating him. Would it be better to put him down? Is there anything more we can do? He’s isolated right now with water and food 24/7. Image URL : https://pin.it/1h8WEum
the wound is silver because of the liquid bandage, but it covers pretty much the entirety of his neck. All the supplies we got was from tractor supply and approved/meant for poultry

I can’t see an image. Can you try again to post a picture? Is a vet possible? I’m not sure liquid bandage and BluKote would be enough to keep the wound from betting infected. Saline or chlorhexidene 2% can be good to irrigate the wound. Then plain Neosporin ointment can be applied to the wound twice a day. Is he drinking fluids or eating anything?

Can you post pictures? That would help
@Overo Mare @MGG @Eggcessive @NatJ

Would it be better to put him down? Is there anything more we can do? He’s isolated right now with water and food 24/7. Image URL : https://pin.it/1h8WEum
I was able to click the link to see the picture.

I don't know how to treat this, but I know that chickens and ducks sometimes do recover from wounds that look very bad.

Isolating him was a good choice.

I cannot tell whether you should put him down now or not. You might see how he does, and decide based on that. If he seems perky and otherwise fine, you might keep trying. But if it gets infected, or if he seems miserable, putting him down might be a better choice.

(Since you are posting about this, I assume you would prefer to treat the wound and save the duck if possible. If you would prefer to put him down, to spare him pain and stress, or because you do not have the time or ability to deal with this, of course you can do that at any time.)

I think you give him his chance particularly as he is eating and drinking now.

Your wound treatment is OK if you cleaned the wound before the silver nitrate and liquid bandage.

Keep him quiet and happy: he needs deep water to drink and for him to wash his whole head including the wound. it will be best to frequently replace the water with fresh water as he will get food in the water and he needs clean water for bathing.

A decision to euthanaze a duck must be made balanced against quality of life. If he is not distressed, and is eating and drinking, I think he should be given a full chance to recover.

Do you have any idea how this wound happened? You need to work that out to stop it happenening to your other ducks.

Last edited:
I think you give him his chance particularly as he is eating and drinking now.

Your wound treatment is OK if your cleaned the wound before the silver nitrate and liquid bandage.

Keep him quiet and happy: he needs deep water to drink and for him to wash his whole head including the wound. it will be best to frequently replace the water with fresh water as he will get food in the water and he needs clean water for bathing.

A decision to euthanaze a duck must be made balanced against quality of life. If he is not distressed, eating nad drinkin, I think he hsould be given a full chance to recover.

Do you have any idea how this wound happened? You need to work that out to stop it happenening to your other ducks.
alright, we had to put a duck down previously due to a similar injury (tons of skin missing from the neck and just hanging onto him) from a dog, so I was worried about the little guy.

I can’t see an image. Can you try again to post a picture? Is a vet possible? I’m not sure liquid bandage and BluKote would be enough to keep the wound from betting infected. Saline or chlorhexidene 2% can be good to irrigate the wound. Then plain Neosporin ointment can be applied to the wound twice a day. Is he drinking fluids or eating anything?
Unfortunate a vet isn’t an option - we’ve called all in the area and none of them take poultry or farm animals. just got to post an image, before I needed a url. The silver is from the bandage, best photo I could get without disturbing him.
5DAF5F02-CF05-4234-9F6F-2BB7B04DE587.jpeg

For some reason the picture is very unclear for me, but that maybe my connection or something. Whenever you have a moment, please try to get a more clear picture of the wound. How is he acting? Is he eating and drinking OK? Do you notice any foul odors coming from the wound? Do you have pictures of the fence? Are your other ducks the same age?

For some reason the picture is very unclear for me, but that maybe my connection or something. Whenever you have a moment, please try to get a more clear picture of the wound. How is he acting? Is he eating and drinking OK? Do you notice any foul odors coming from the wound? Do you have pictures of the fence? Are your other ducks the same age?
He’s acting somewhat normal, his heads somewhat droopy and he’s tired. He seems to be eating and drinking alright, and no odors. The photos blurry because he’s not really social and with his injury I don’t want to stress him out. Our ducks that are outside are the same age and older. The photo of the fence provided isn’t ours but around the same size.

Attachments

• 607F0BAC-7EC2-4095-95E2-3771AFE7550D.jpeg
    607F0BAC-7EC2-4095-95E2-3771AFE7550D.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 755B8E4C-05D2-4275-A00A-C7A53F491ECA.jpeg
    755B8E4C-05D2-4275-A00A-C7A53F491ECA.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 7
I cannot believe it's an injury from the fence.

I have two rescues being slowly introduced to my ducks. After 2 weeks isolation in my Florida room, they are now coming out into a temporary dog exercise pen on my patio. The bars are barely wider than my ducks' beaks. yet I heard a commotion and went to check and one of my pekins had his whole head and neck through the bars [with the two newcomers pecking him furiously.] My duck looked like he had stuck his head and neck through three gaps run together, but no he had managed to get through just one gap in the bars. It was very difficult to get him back through the gap it was so narrow. But when I got him back, he came for a quiet sit with me for 10 minutes but was then 100% back to normal. No wounds on his head, neck or shoulders. Something else happened to your duckling. Is there a dog around?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom