extremelysick rooster :( pleasehelp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by huntingirl, Apr 6, 2017.

1. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    my rooster is less than a year old. a few days ago he was fine. I go out there everyday but I dont go in the run. ijust look in there to see if they need water they ran out of food afew days ago so they were foraging. well hes been in the coop the whole time. I thought he was just doing chicken stuff. well this afternoon I went to see if they needed water and he came out of the coop. he couldn't walk done the steps. he tried but just fell. his comb is black at the top. I picked him up to help him and hes SUPER SUPER SKINNY. its bad you can feel a good bit of his breast bone and another bone by his crop. im really scared. I know now whyn hes been in the coop. we keep the water outside the coop in a big nipple bucket. so he hasn't had water in who knows how long and CLEARLY hasnt eaten in a VERY LONG TI ME!!!! yall, hes so skinny. what do I do? i seperated him. I gave him some water oats carrots cucumber cheese and lettuce and chicken food.the problem is he will only eat and drink when im sitting with him. he can see his flock from where he is. is there a certain amount of food and water Im supposed give him? will it kill him if he eats too much since hes obviously starving? please help and check often. our chickens mean SOOOOOO much to us. please tell me everything I need to know thankyou

2. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    ii scattered the foodaround the yard hes staying in. its about ten feet from the run where his flock is

3. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    anybody??? please help

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am so sorry that he is so sick. Bring him inside in a basket or crate. Hold a bowl of water or a spoon up to his beak for him to drink. Vitamins and electrolytes into his water, Gatorade straight, Pedialyte straight, or add a tespoonful of sugar to a quart of water. Give him fluids all evening. He should take fluids before he eats. Then in the morning, add a lot of water to a small bowl of chicken feed, plus a raw or chopped egg, and a tsp of yogurt. Try getting him to eat that. He is severely dehydrated, and may not make it. Keep him warm, since he probably cannot regulate his temperature. Place him on an old towel to see if he passes droppings. Let us know how he is doing in a little while.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  5. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    thankyou. hes perked up a bit its 60 degreeshere with a towel over part of his crate and woodchips inside it. is thisok? I gave him water and food. is it possible for him to eat or drink too much since hes not in good condition?

6. chicks are life

chicks are life Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    Agreed.let us know how he goes.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try to get it closer to 75-80 or bring him inside. Try to fet him to drink first tonite, since food is not good for him at this time. Once he gets enough to drink that he is well hydrated, then it would be good to feed him. I once had a bantam rooster jump inside an unattended garbage can, and the lid was put on without knowing he was inside. The next morning he was found with a black comb, lying down, almost in a coma. He finally was revived and did okay once he got water--we were lucky. I hope that you can save your guy. I would suggest that you always have some water and food inside your coop as well as outside. Always do a head count at the end of the day to check on everyone. We all have made mistakes, and this is a learning experience.

8. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    thankyou so much! you've made me feel much better. ill get him to drink more.

9. chicks are life

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    I do a head count even if its hailing outside... Head counts are what's best in case one got out and locked in let's say for example a trash can.

10. chicks are life

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    I take a handful of chick feed and a handful of layer feed mix it up, in a seperate bowl mix up a raw egg,pour the egg in and stir.and if you have it a tablespoon of omega 3. Chickens love it and its a reviver.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by