Eye condition? Need help/advice

Shaun89174

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
South Shields England
So we've noticed that one of our 3 week old hens has a 'pop eye' it's rather noticeable and it pretrudes from the head unlike all our chickens eyes which look pretty flush with the head. She seems fine although she does close it and shake her head now and then. I've attatched images the best I can get of her. Any advice welcome!!
IMG-20200713-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20200713-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20200713-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20200713-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200713-WA0002.jpg

This is a birth defect. The red color looks a bit like a hemorrhage in the eye. She may be blind in the eye, or most seem to be in the past threads that are on BYC. Some have reported this defect in one or both eyes. Sometimes the eye will sink or turn grey, but most seem to be blinded. Sometimes the chicks die, and that could be due to another problem or brain disorder. If the chick does not blink normally, you could use some plain Neosporin ointment twice a day.

Has she always had this pop-eye (lol Popeye's chicken)? If she has, then it's nothing too serious. And even then, sometimes the problem doesn't show till a few weeks later. There are occasional genetic mutations in chickens that cause the cornea to become misshapen. Often it barely hinders their vision, and causes no discomfort. Her eye looks clear and healthy other than it's shape. It has no inflammation, no infection (that I can see), and doesn't seem to cause her pain. That's why I'm guessing it's just genetic. She probably shakes her head because she gets dirt or some debris in her eye occasionally (it's literally popping out, and it's hard for her to shield). So all you really need to do it keep an 'eye' on he to make sure that it doesn't get damaged or infected. Any cloudiness, hindered of vision, or redness/swelling will be cause for concern. It'll be better to catch injuries early on. She just needs a little extra watching!

Thank you for the replies. She seems to be acting normal other then it's popped out appearance. To be honest we can't really say if it's always been like that we've just noticed it looked odd. If it is a generic will it always be popped out and and look weird. We live in England and I'm not sure we can get neosporin here. We will keep an 'eye' on her. Should we segregate her or will she be fine with the others?

Back
Top Bottom