EYE emergency- bottom "lid" sagging - PICTURE

It looks like conjunctivitis and like chicks4kids advised, the terramycin opthalmic 2 to 3 times a day should help out a lot. Treat for 7 to 10 days.
Coastal hay can be very itchy as well, depending on the cutting. Try switching back to shavings for awhile while treating and see if that helps too.

If the hay has seed heads in it or they get to free range where there are grass seed heads, they can cause the same condition.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Quote:
I should have specified, it's only one eye and I did make major change a few days ago. We went from pine shavings to sand. My first thought was that it has sand in it's eye. I hope that's all it is and a few washes will take care of it, but I'm nervous that it's sick.

I'll get the antibiotic ointment tomorrow.

I've noticed with this ointment that it takes a good solid 3 days of at least 3 applications a day before you see an improvement. But it does work. Hopefully it is possibly just a grit of sand, but I doubt it. Good luck!

Thank-you!! I couldn't find anything to say how long the ointment would take to work, your comment eases my mind. I hoped for an quick cure and was concerned that it wasn't working yet
smile.png

x2 about the grass seeds. I had one bird get a messed up eye, and I looked and it had a foxtail under its lid. I got it out with tweezers and it healed up all on its own.

Back
Top Bottom