Eye infection

Fuzzyfreddyhead

Hatching
Oct 25, 2022
I have a polish rooster that has an eye injury I believe that is now infected. I have been using saline solution to clean it and been putting terramycin in it 3 times a day for one week now and started giving him amoxicillin once daily yesterday. It is not getting any better and it really smells I am just not sure what else to do. There are no vets that take care of chickens in my area.

I also have a picture of his eye

Attachments

• 3DE80B34-3A25-4656-82E7-9EE6CF6B4902.jpeg
    3DE80B34-3A25-4656-82E7-9EE6CF6B4902.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 727E280F-976B-4109-B658-57BCD51CF14F.jpeg
    727E280F-976B-4109-B658-57BCD51CF14F.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 3
You're doing all the right things, but just leaving one thing out - cleaning out the pus. Pus represents bacteria, and the saline and Terramycin can't cut through the pus to get to the bacteria under it. So you need to remove the pus.

Get some cotton balls, and soak them in saline and wipe the pus out of the eye. Since the pus has probably been there a while, it may have a "skin" on it. If you can gently and carefully pick that skin off, then the softer pus underneath can more easily be wiped out with the cotton balls. Then flush well with saline and use the Terramycin twice a day in the eye.

Each day, if the pus returns, you need to remove it or the eye will not heal. once the pus is removed, healing will commence like gang busters.

You're doing all the right things, but just leaving one thing out - cleaning out the pus. Pus represents bacteria, and the saline and Terramycin can't cut through the pus to get to the bacteria under it. So you need to remove the pus.

Get some cotton balls, and soak them in saline and wipe the pus out of the eye. Since the pus has probably been there a while, it may have a "skin" on it. If you can gently and carefully pick that skin off, then the softer pus underneath can more easily be wiped out with the cotton balls. Then flush well with saline and use the Terramycin twice a day in the eye.

Each day, if the pus returns, you need to remove it or the eye will not heal. once the pus is removed, healing will commence like gang busters.
Thank you

Thank you. I wasn’t sure if I could take that yellow stuff off. It doesn’t wipe off. A piece of it was dangling so I took tweezers and pulled very gently and it came off

Good work! Keeping the eye free of pus should be a breeze now. Just wipe it clean with a saline wet cotton ball when you see it accumulating again. Very soon you will have the upper hand on the infection. Eyes heal very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom