Eye infection??

I'm glad they are improving!

Good job and working the ointment into the eyes. Just keep going like you are, but if you can, it would be a good idea to have the Tylosin on hand just in case you need it.
So I've been giving them tylosin. They seem like they improved some but they're still sick. I'm exhausted. Any other suggestions? The other chicks started getting the infections one by one as well. My white silkie ended up dying while we were at freshmen orientation for our nephew, but I truly think it was due to an accident. I believe it hurt itself. The other olive got it, then the buff & finally the polish. The buff did have some severe puss that I would drain from her eye & after a few days she started having a smell. The tylosin helped lessen the symptoms but tomorrow would be an entire week that they've been given the antibiotics & they still have the eye infections. I'm planning on getting one of the sick chicks (probably the buff since she hasn't the puss & smell the worst) one of my hatched chicks to make sure I didn't accidently contaminate them), and one of my regular flock to make sure they didn't pick anything up (we dumped the sick chick's shavings.in our fire pit & one of the boys forgot to close it after dumping the flakes... I found the pit open with shaving spread out days later) I'm having tests done for MG & coryza.

There's a bad odor?

If so, then it may be Infectious Coryza. Do you notice any lesions or canker (yellow/white pasty material) inside their beaks?

If it's infectious Coryza, then you can try a Sulfa antibiotic. Smz-Tmp would be a good choice, also Baytril (enrofloxacin) which is a strong antibiotic can be given too.
I'm sorry they are not improving a lot. It does sound like they have secondary infection that needs to be treated with a different antibiotic beside the Tylan.

It's good that you are getting testing. Let me know what you find out.

Here's some info where to find the other meds and dosing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lethargic-and-weak-light-brahma-hen.1591172/post-27038025

There's a bad odor?

If so, then it may be Infectious Coryza. Do you notice any lesions or canker (yellow/white pasty material) inside their beaks?

If it's infectious Coryza, then you can try a Sulfa antibiotic. Smz-Tmp would be a good choice, also Baytril (enrofloxacin) which is a strong antibiotic can be given too.
I'm sorry they are not improving a lot. It does sound like they have secondary infection that needs to be treated with a different antibiotic beside the Tylan.

It's good that you are getting testing. Let me know what you find out.

Here's some info where to find the other meds and dosing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lethargic-and-weak-light-brahma-hen.1591172/post-27038025
We didn't see any spots in any of their mouths. The smell I would say was like a sinus infection.. or like the gunk that comes out of pimples/black heads? Idk how to explain it & I know that it sounds gross (because who smells blackheads/zits?) But it smells like the way my nose rings/other piercings smell when I'm cleaning them. It wasn't a horrible smell but not a good smell.. like there's definitely worse smells. I don't want it to be mg or coryza but if it's not either of those I'm just stuck at not knowing what it is or how to cure it 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom