Eye infection??

krystin07

Chirping
May 12, 2022
I noticed that over a week ago one of my silkie chicks had a bump near her eye. I didn't know what it was but I read on a post th a t it could be a stye & let it go a day or 2 to see if it changes. About a day later her eye was swollen. Her eye is now closed and I put a warm cloth on it to help get a small opening in it in order to apply some drops. On Sunday we noticed my other silkie's eye was looking off & it's face was crusty. The second silkie had been obviously rubbing it's face on her wing/back. I know I should have separated the first silkie from the rest of my chicks but I didn't think too much of it. Ignorance on my part.. I have my 2 silkies separated from the others & I suspect that the bump on the first was caused by pecking. I believe she was the lowest in the pecking order for the chicks. I apply eye drops to both chicks & I remove a white jelly type lining from the second chick's eye each night. I worry the first silkie is going to end up down one eye. Idk what to do.. does anyone have a suggestion of antibiotics? Will putting them on medicated feed help? I've never had any eye infections with any of my other 20 chickens & the other 4 chicks they were with seem fine.
20230802_142157.jpg
20230802_142152.jpg
20230802_142142.jpg
20230802_142120.jpg
20230802_142048.jpg
20230802_141944.jpg
20230802_141943.jpg
20230802_141938.jpg
20230802_141925.jpg

Last edited:
Can you please post photos?

General care is to flush they eye with saline, remove any pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye.

Do they have any other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, lesions inside the beak, a bad odor, mites/lice?

Can you please post photos?

General care is to flush they eye with saline, remove any pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye.

Do they have any other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, lesions inside the beak, a bad odor, mites/lice?
Edited my post. I meant to do that last night but my phone was at 5%. No coughing, no bugs, no sneezing & i don'tnotice an odor. Nothing seems off except their one swollen eye. Don't mind the food on Caroline's beak (the grey one), she was the first to get the infection & she had a bunp on the back corner of her eye which you can still tell. Josie (white) didn't start out with the bump. I do wipe back Josie's face feathers with a warm towel at night to avoid her little feathers from being in her eye. She did have bubbles the very first night we cleaned her eye but nothing since and that night I pulled a lot of dark yellow gunk. I thought it was a piece of wood chip but idk. They are both normally active and eating fine.

I would work on the eyes a few times a day.
If they are crusty and hard to open, hold a warm compress on the eye first, then rinse with saline, working on getting them open. Remove any pus or debris. Terramycin eye ointment in the eye and surrounding tissue. If you can't source Terramycin, you can use Original Neosporin.

I would work on the eyes a few times a day.
If they are crusty and hard to open, hold a warm compress on the eye first, then rinse with saline, working on getting them open. Remove any pus or debris. Terramycin eye ointment in the eye and surrounding tissue. If you can't source Terramycin, you can use Original Neosporin.
Thank you! Got some Terramycin at tractor supply last night. So it's ok to work into the eye? I just rubbed it along the outside after doing the wipe & flush. I'll add more & make sure to work it in good during the next cleaning

Yes, you want to put some of the ointment in the eye too.
One of my Olive eggers now has it as well. 😞 the white silkie started out like this but I don't recall my dark silkie ever looking like this. The dark silkie just had a bump by her eye that turned into the infection.
20230803_125609.jpg
20230803_125651.jpg

I'd flush with saline and apply the ointment in her eye too.

Looks like a small injury to the corner of the eye, but since you have multiple birds with similar symptoms, it would probably be a good idea to give them an antibiotic.

You can order Tylosin online Here or Here.

I'd flush with saline and apply the ointment in her eye too.

Looks like a small injury to the corner of the eye, but since you have multiple birds with similar symptoms, it would probably be a good idea to give them an antibiotic.

You can order Tylosin online Here or Here.
Thank you so much! My Olive is basically normal since I got the ointment on her right away.. white silkie now has her eye open today & the grey silkie still has her eye closed but definitely showing improvement. I'll be looking into the antibiotic

I'm glad they are improving!

Good job and working the ointment into the eyes. Just keep going like you are, but if you can, it would be a good idea to have the Tylosin on hand just in case you need it.

Back
Top Bottom