Eye infections with Silkies?

Thank you so much. I will get in touch with him and order the antibiotic.
I really appreciate your help.
hmm.png

Tell him the symptoms and then ask him for the strongest meds. He knows what is best. He has helped me many times, including with a silkie's eye infection. I go to him for everything chicken related.
Quote:

Quote:
Did you need a prescription from a vet or is it sold through the mail?

First State is a chicken based vet website. The vet is Dr. Peter Brown (the Chicken doctor). He will help you out for free as long as you purchase meds from him. He is GREAT. Check them out at http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/. Also his email is [email protected]. Best of luck!

Roshan

Thats good to know, thanks!

If there are not any other symptoms, then they probably don't have any of those scary things i referenced. Aside from contacting First State, you may want to call the breeder and and ask his/her advice. They may have seen an eye infection like this before and can provide some insight and guidance.

I was searching for an answer to my problem with watery eyes and ran upon this post.

What was the outcome with your chicks? What did you end up getting and did it work??

Oh and by the way, Doc Peter Brown is not a Veterinarian but does know alot about chicken diseases etc. I asked him directly if he was a Vet on one of my phone calls and he said he wasn't. Just thought I'd share that bit of info with you all.

Oh and Pennie1 I'm sorry I never called you back, I lost your number and I didn't realize until today that your Username wasn't spelled PennyOne !!!
he.gif
I'd like to talk with you !!!!!

Last edited:
I am wondering what the outcome of this is. I have 3 birds who have really sticky and swollen eyes. They are all under 4 months I think. I just got them and they are quarantined. I dont want to keep them if they are carriers. I dont want the rest of my flock to get the disease. I am supposed to be getting a second hand necropsy report, but do not know when or if I will be getting it.

Very Concerned

Antibiotics are misused so often, antibiotic strains of bacteria and viruses are growing exponentially.

Boost your birds' immune systems. My suggestion is that you get to a pharmacy and pick up some cranberry gel caps- cranassure makes the best product. Make certain that they are gel caps and not powder in a capsule. Tuck one of these odwn each afflicted bird's gullet together with a single raw almond and a clove of raw garlic-. Pick up some oil of oregano if its chronic and add a few drop over their food daily.

Also- get your birds on an optimal diet. The commercial feeds are designed for high intensity poultry farming- for breeds designed to lay with great productivity and live very short lives.

Supplement with Mazuri exotic gamebird starter or Farmers' helper UltraKibble. I keep lots of Farmers' Helper Optimal Formula ForageCakes at hand at all time so that I can help keep our birds' immune systems at their function.
One ForageCake last a dozen hens from 2-5 weeks- just cut them up and soak them slightly until the birds have figured out what they are and how to forage on them. The Optimal ForageCake is loaded with UltraKibble.

Back
Top Bottom