Eye injury

louisiana1111

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2017
I went out to check on my chickens and see one of my young ones with an eye it could not open. There is no sign of anything in the eye or damage to the eyeball itself. It seems to just be puffy to where she cannot open it. Any ideas???
20170621_170534.jpg

If it's just from being pecked all that is needed is epsom salt water and a couple days for the swelling to go down. Bare in mind you want to avoid antibiotics if you can do unless there's discharge it's most likely something that doesn't require antibiotics.

I would not put Epsom salt water in the eye. Saline eye drops, fine, but not the latter. Feed stores sell Terramycin eye ointment which contains tetracycline antibiotic, and there is also Vetericyn eye wash or the eye gel. Swelling around the eye can be from a peck wound, an insect sting, a foreign body, or possibly a respiratory infection. I would open the eye and look around for any debris or dirt. Look for any sneezing, gasping, bubbles in the eye, or nasal drainage which could indicate a respiratory disease such as MG.

Back
Top Bottom