Eye Injury

RodNTN

Hatchaolic
8 Years
May 22, 2013
The Volunteer State
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! Unfortunately "Bibby" my favorite Black Australorp hen, was pecked in the eye today. She can't open it, and the lid is bleeding a bit. She is still eating and drinking, I'm just not sure about exact treatment. Should I boil 4 cups of water with 1/4 tsp of salt? Or should I do 1/2 tsp? Or would 1 cup suffice?
I don't have any normal saline solution, and I'm hesitant to use contact solution.
And is it okay to use Vetericyn in her eye? Thank you all so much in advance! :)

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony @azygous

Last edited:
Poor Bibby! She just can't win:(

Saline solution for eyes is 1/2 tsp of salt per 1 cup of water, boil for 15 minutes. Let cool.
Saline solutions can be stored in a sterile jar for up to 24hrs then thrown out. For me, it's better to make a fresh batch each time.

The Vetericyn, what does is say on the label about the eyes. Vetericyn does make a few formulas that is safe for the eyes, but it would say that.

I know, I guess she's just accident prone! :(

I already boiled 1 cup of water with 1/2 tsp salt for 15 minutes, it's cooling now.

I'll check, if the Vetericyn I have isn't safe for the eyes, what can I use?

Thank you so much for all of your help, @Wyorp Rock! :hugs I can always count on you :)
You can use plain Neosporin. The Vetericyn is probably o.k. for eyes, but I have never used it on eyes.

I rinsed her eye out with the saline, and I sprayed the Vetericyn in her eye as well. I put her back outside and she can open it. Her neck is not better, though. Since I cut back on the vitamins (I cut it from twice a day to once a day).
I'm going to up it back to twice a day.

I've been away all day and just got home. Sounds like Bibby is getting good care. I think all you'd need to do is flush the eye in case bacteria has been injected with the peck. There is a little bottle on the eye care counter at Walmart for Pink Eye. It's a mixture of soothing ingredients to help the eye stop hurting. You might pick up some if she is experiencing discomfort.

Keep a close watch on the eye. If it begins to show a pink film, that indicates infection. You would then need to find an eye antibiotic. Terramycin eye ointment is at most feed stores.

I've been pecked in the eye by a chicken. Ain't much fun. Tell Bibby I know what she's going through.

Thanks @azygous! I've been cleaning her eye 3 times a day, she doesn't open it much, though. Her neck is getting worse, the only time her head isn't shaking is when I'm holding her or I put a small towel on the back of her neck, when I do that she can keep her head down.
She has been in the house since last night, I'm still giving her vitamins twice a day; but it seems like it isn't working :hmm She can't drink or eat without help, the day before her eye was pecked she was acting fine. Do you think this injury to her eye is putting stress on her? Before her eye was pecked her neck only got bad when she was scared or excited.
I just don't know what to do :idunno

:hugs It sounds like you are doing everything you can for her.
Stress can exacerbate symptoms, so hopefully once her eye is feeling better the neck issues will too.

I'm sorry Bibby is having so much trouble.

Thank you so much! I assumed the stress was going to take its toll on her, especially since she hasn't been outside much.
Good news, though, her neck is doing a bit better this evening! The shaking has calmed down :D

Back
Top Bottom