Eye injury

I pulled the lid down enough to see goop. It's not green and purulent but more like slough. I don't have enough hands to photograph it . I also don't have a saline flush. On hand. I can make 0.9% saline solution, but no Teramycin on hand either

I pulled the lid down enough to see goop. It's not green and purulent but more like slough. I don't have enough hands to photograph it . I also don't have a saline flush. On hand. I can make 0.9% saline solution, but no Teramycin on hand either
To make saline at home, add 2 teaspoons of salt to 1 quart of water in sauce pan. Bring to boil, reduce to low simmer, cover for 15 minutes. Let cool. You can keep it up to 24hrs in a clean jar in a cool place.

Original Neosporin can be used in the eye.

Chicken pus most of the time is like a semi-solid cheese material if that makes sense. So what you are seeing may be pus that can eventually be worked out of the eye. It can take time, so it may take several days to see if it's going to come out. Hopefully the hen is fairly patient too.

Even if you don't have an ointment on hand, giving the eye a flush once daily can be helpful until you can get something.

Thank you. It's not semi solid cheesy looking. I'm a nurse so I know what you mean. It's more a stringy pinkish tan goo. Like tissue that is sloughing. It's hard to say until I get it flushed. I don't suppose 1% lidocaine is safe for birds?

Thank you. It's not semi solid cheesy looking. I'm a nurse so I know what you mean. It's more a stringy pinkish tan goo. Like tissue that is sloughing. It's hard to say until I get it flushed. I don't suppose 1% lidocaine is safe for birds?
I wouldn't use it in the eye, but on a small wound on the body I might.

Back
Top Bottom