Eye issue

bgeiger

In the Brooder
May 6, 2019
I have a young BCM cockerel. He had a lot of issues when I got him and I prolly should have culled him, but I’m still learning and I figured he would be a good project to learn on. So I’ve gotten his feathers to start to grow back and the color is starting to come back to normal in his crown. He did have fowl pox and it appears that this is about to clear to. About a week ago you could hear this guy breathing from a couple feet away. Now he does have a slight purr sound when exhaling but you have to hold him to your ear to hear it.
His eye, however, looks like it has something stuck to it. I’m not sure if it was from the fowl pox or if it’s something else. He keeps that eye closed most of the time but I was able to get a picture of it. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? If so how do I treat it? He is quarantined right now.

Attachments

• 455370C7-FCD3-4B5E-A5C4-4E49756E8B98.jpeg
    455370C7-FCD3-4B5E-A5C4-4E49756E8B98.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 10
He had a lot of issues when I got him and I prolly should have culled him, but I’m still learning and I figured he would be a good project to learn on. So I’ve gotten his feathers to start to grow back and the color is starting to come back to normal in his crown. He did have fowl pox and it appears that this is about to clear to. About a week ago you could hear this guy breathing from a couple feet away. Now he does have a slight purr sound when exhaling but you have to hold him to your ear to hear it.

His eye, however, looks like it has something stuck to it. I’m not sure if it was from the fowl pox or if it’s something else. He keeps that eye closed most of the time but I was able to get a picture of it.
Sounds like he may have had wet form of Fowl Pox?
It's possible he may also have respiratory disease as well, without testing, it would be hard to know.

Now, for the eye - have you tried flushing it with saline and then gently see if that spot will come off? Very hard to tell if that's growing/attached to the eye or if it's pus. You can also try an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin in the eye to see if that helps (flush 2-3 times a day and apply your ointment).

The eye does look sunken so, my thoughts would be possibly Mycoplasma or Infectious Bronchitis - if you are wanting to breed him(?) consider getting some testing. Most respiratory diseases make birds carriers for life - this means it's passed on to any birds that you have - some may become symptomatic while others may never show signs of illness.

Sounds like he may have had wet form of Fowl Pox?
It's possible he may also have respiratory disease as well, without testing, it would be hard to know.

Now, for the eye - have you tried flushing it with saline and then gently see if that spot will come off? Very hard to tell if that's growing/attached to the eye or if it's pus. You can also try an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin in the eye to see if that helps (flush 2-3 times a day and apply your ointment).

The eye does look sunken so, my thoughts would be possibly Mycoplasma or Infectious Bronchitis - if you are wanting to breed him(?) consider getting some testing. Most respiratory diseases make birds carriers for life - this means it's passed on to any birds that you have - some may become symptomatic while others may never show signs of illness.
Thank you for responding. I think he might have had both wet and dry fowl pox. Not sure if that is possible but he had dry sores on his comb and non feathered areas. All of those are now gone.
I’ve not flushed his eye yet but will today. I also have some polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethason Suspension. So I’ll also use those drops in his eye at night as well as VETRx on his comb to help with breathing.

Back
Top Bottom