Eye issues... missing? infected?

trsturself

Songster
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Elizabeth, CO
The other day while putting the chickens up I noticed one of our chickens had a really swollen eye. Since it was night time I didn't do anything but made a note to check on her in the morning. In the morning it was draining a lot. Her whole side was crusty from her wiping it off. I wiped it up and tried to see inside to see if it was injured or something in it. She wouldn't let me touch it so I just put medicine on it and left it. The next day the swelling was down a little bit so I again wiped it clean and this time a large chunk of hard white stuff came out. I put the medicine on again and put her back with the flock.
She is eating and drinking fine and no one is really picking on her (no more than the usual peck between girls). She doesn't have any discharge from her nose, no shaking of the head, not acting sick.

After 3 days of medicine the swelling has gone down but is not gone. Today she opened her eye and I couldn't see anything but red in there. It looks like there is no eye at all. Here is a pic. The crusty stuff above and below is the medicine. The string of stuff coming out was jelly like and came right off. The white stuff in the corner is like what I got out previously but this one wouldn't come out.

Any ideas what's going on? I've searched it and it doesn't sound like anything else I've read.

Last edited:
Does she smell bad or have any cough, sneeze, rattles, or nasal drainage? Her eye looks like she could have coryza or MG, but an eye injury or peck wound can sometimes look like this. The white stuff in the eye was puss, and with a severe injection the eyes can either look gone, or the infection can destroy it. I would recommend cleaning the eye with saline, and putting an antibiotics ointment such as Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment into the eye twice a day. Vetericyn eye gel would also work. Warm compresses can also help, but the puss must be removed. QTips or other instruments may need to be used. Tylan 50 injectable given as a shot into breast muscle for 3 days, or given orally for 5 days, may help if it is MG. For coryza, Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet can be used for treatment. Coryza usually smells very bad. If it is a peck or injury, she may need something stronger from a vet, such as Baytril, since she could have E.coli or staph growing in it. Here is a link about respiratory diseases to read: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I read a lot of info on MG and coryza before posting. She doesn't have any discharge from her nose, no sneezing, and no smell. I have been putting medicine on it daily, it was looking slightly better but today it looks worse. I'll be going to the feed store tomorrow to get something stronger. I don't see any more puss though so maybe that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom