Eye of Round Steak...How do I cook it?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by rodriguezpoultry, Oct 8, 2009.

1. desertcat

desertcat In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Amarillo
    It does make good stir fry and fajitas, but if you want to keep it intact and not need a visit to the dentist after, the rules are long cooking time, low heat and moisture. Usually works. [​IMG]

2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Songster

BEST WAY to cook it : [​IMG]

Quickly sear all sides on HOT skillet.

Then wrap in aluminum foil that you have put some holes into.

Put in outdoor smoker about 12 to 18 inches above hot coals that have wet-soaked fruitwood pieces on top of coals.

Cook this way for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes per pound.

Let cool for 10-15 minutes after removal from "smoker".

Slice against "the grain".

It will be VERY TENDER and tasty ! [​IMG]

(You MAY want to marinate it overnight in the refrigerator before cooking, using YOUR favorite marinade.)

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  3. desertcat

desertcat In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Amarillo
    Junkmanme, are you in cahoots with my husband? He's already dropping hints about what he wants for Christmas. It's big, multi-fuel and cooks food outdoors.

Seriously, that sounds like serious yummy stuff.

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Songster

desertcat,

PERSONALLY, I prefer a wood-fired smoker to the "propane"/ other fuel type.

But either way (I've had both), you won't believe how wonderful the flavor of smoked meats are when you do this at home! ((better than you can BUY !!!)

IF I were you, I'd agree to buy his smoker EARLY (like NOW)...because he'll need to practice a little to get used to using it. AND, you can get him to "smoke" a TURKEY for Thanksgiving, thereby relieving yourself of one chore! [​IMG]

AND, it's a GREAT way to cook a HAM, also! (or a chicken)

Go get a 2nd Mortgage and BUY a Smoker!
    (get the kind that has the "firebox" off to the side of the main cooking area.....so that you can "slow smoke"...which is difficult with a regular bbq)

Right now, I just use an old Weber Kettle BBQ with a section of old water-heater set in between the bottom and top. (I did a little welding to allow for handles, grills, top-ring and bottom ring. But, it is possible to install handles and grills with just a drill and some bolts/screws).

I have the metal parts to build me a good fancy one...but I've been busy feeding chickens, etc. [​IMG]

IF you want a "store-bought smoker" look for something with the firebox off to the side, as I mentioned. Here's a picture of a fancy one. There are much less expensive ones, such as at WalMart.

[​IMG]

Are you "drooling" yet? [​IMG] [​IMG]

GREAT way to cook! [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    You have to marianade it overnight or it's like chewing on your boot. You need something that will help break it down and soften overnight. That is why vineagar marianades work. I happen to like buttermilk.

I just put it in a bowl of buttermilk overnight and then about 30 min. before cooking I season it. It's best if you can slowcook it. I put mine in the crockpot.

6. wombat

wombat Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    There's a trade off with steaks ... the most tender cuts are not as flavorful, and the flavorful cuts, like round steak, are tougher.

I like to marinade mine overnight.

For two 8oz steaks:
    1 large onion, sliced.
    1 clove of garlic, diced (or use garlic powder)
    Juice of one lemon.
    1/2 tsp each corriander, black pepper, and cumin (or feel free to be creative and substitute!)
    Put steaks in a ziploc bag, add enough Worchestershire sauce to coat.
    Put in the refrigerator over night.

The lemon juice will partially "cook" the meat chemically.

Wrap each steak in a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.

Heat frying pan to medium heat, fry steaks in butter, about 4-5 mins per side will be med to med rare depending on thickness and how hot "medium" is on your range. Cover the pan after you turn the steak to the second side.

Alternatively, you can brush with melted butter and use the broiler instead of pan frying ... 3-5 mins per side depending on how hot your broiler is ...

There are plenty of asian recipes that are great with thinly sliced round steak, cut on the diagonal and marinaded ... you can get away with a few hours in the marinade with sliced meat instead of overnight for whole steaks.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    dredge in flour seasoned to your taste, then brown in a bit of oil, then put in a dish/pan/casserole, to cook slowly with a little red wine, or some beef broth etc if you object to red wine //edit// add thyme for lovely flavour. (though the alcohol evaporates, only flavinoids remain to tenderize and add flavour etc) You can simmer on stove, in crock pot or in oven for an hour or two or more. Add onions early, then sliced carrots later etc.

Sorry I don't have exact times for you, I'm one of those people who just wings it.

Cook it till nice and tender, I'd guess 3 to 4 hours, though longer works too. You can thicken the broth with a bit of corn starch, or flour if you prefer at the end of the process. Yum!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  8. I marinate mine for a day or two and then broil it on low. Depending on the thickness of the cut and the doneness of the steak (the way you like it cooked) the time varies. I have a digital meat thermometer that I LOVE. It has beef, chicken, pork, lamb and turkey as the meats and then three "doneness" levels to choose from...

The marinade I use is:

1 clove of garlic, diced (or use garlic powder)
    A few cups (or about 1/2 a bottle of lemon juice)
    a cup or so of olive oil
    a cup or two of worchestershire sauce
    a cup of soy sauce
    a cup or two of brown sugar.

Stir all together & put steak in the mix. It needs to be completely submerged in the liquid to marinate properly. I perfer overnight.

The next day, remove from marinade and place on broiling rack. Broil on low for 20-25 (depending on thickness.) Turn over & broil an additional 15-20 depending on thickness and perferance for "doneness."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
  9. Oh and I found this Cinnamon/Chipolte rub that is to die for! [​IMG] It's soooo dang good! I do a thick rub before broiling the steaks and then a second rub once it's flipped. It carmelizing on the steak and it's soooo good! [​IMG]

10. wombat

wombat Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    ... and then there is Beef Bourguignon ... perhaps the finest dish there is!

If you've never made this, you really should try it.

There are plenty of recipes out there ... I use the one out of my old Juila Child's cookbook, but I'm too lazy to type it in, so here's one pasted from:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Beef-Bourguignon-1196

Make sure to use a really good wine for this ... when you cook down the wine, you concentrate it ... a good wine's flavors intensify and become really great. A bad wine's off flavors would also intensify, and get worse ... so don't go cheap on the wine with this one, or use anything with an off flavor. Same with the brandy. If you don't have a decent brandy around, substitute more wine for it. You can also use a Merlot if you want a more intense flavor, try to stay on the dry side though ...

1/4 cup all purpose flour
    2 pounds 1 1/2-inch pieces beef stew meat
    7 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup brandy
    2 cups Burgundy or other dry red wine
    2 cups canned beef broth
    6 fresh thyme sprigs
    4 large garlic cloves, chopped
    3 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1 large onion, cut into 12 wedges
    4 carrots, peeled, cut into 2-inch lengths
    4 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch lengths
    1 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, peeled, quartered
    1/2 pound mushrooms

Place flour in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add beef to flour and toss to coat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy Dutch oven over high heat. Working in batches, add beef to pot and sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Return all meat to pot. Add brandy; boil until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add wine, broth, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and oregano. Cover; simmer until beef is almost tender, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until brown, about 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to large bowl Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet. Add carrots and celery; sauté until golden, about 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon transfer to bowl with onions. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet. Add potatoes; sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with other vegetables. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet. Add mushrooms; sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to bowl.

Add vegetables to pot with beef. Add nutmeg. Cover pot; simmer 45 minutes. Uncover pot and boil liquid until thickened to sauce consistency, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: