Eye pecked out- Treatment?

Good news! I little 'mommy' nurse treatment with hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin got the swelling down enough in just a couple of hourse that she is able to open her eye and it's still there! :) She's got some healing to do still of course but I'm so thankful it's still there.
I'm still concerned about what to do from here though. Do I mix these two again or find a new home for the aggresive one?? I don't know...any experience anyone??

I have the same problem with my 5 week old chick. I've been trying to figure out what to do. I'ts right eye is completly out. One of my roosters pecked it out. I dont think it will survive very long cause its just a peep. Its been opening and closeing his beak. She wont open her other eye. Im thinking mayge some terramycin eye ointment would help. She wont eat because she wont open her eyes. Shes in a lot of pain.

sad.png

I know you posted this a long time ago but I wanted to let you know your advice helped save an Aricana hen that I had tried everything except inj. She had started loosing weight and her activity had slowed. She isn't out of the woods yet but she is turning the corner. Just wanted to say thank you!!

Wow, good information - My broody just hatched some chicks, but 2 didn't make it and one I "rescued" had blood caked around it's eye. I'm not sure if she pecked at it or something else happened, but the chick wasn't even dry when I found it. I brought her in and I'm going to get the q tips and eye rinse, maybe I have some eye ointment I can apply. The chick isn't ready to eat or drink yet, I dip it's beak now and then. I'd really like to get that dried blood off. - I can't tell for certain, but I think she's blind in it, but the eye is still there.

Usually the hen is such a good broody, I can't imagine she caused all that carnage.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom