Eye Pecking Problem

shadowmane

Songster
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
China Grove, North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday, we came home with 8 chicks. 7 Silver Laced Wyandotte and 1 black sex link (which, incidentally, is all brown). Today, we brought home the last part of the order. 7 Americauna.

Last night, I noticed that there were 2 Wyandotte chicks pecking at the eye of the sex link. After the Americaunas were introduced, one of them started doing the same thing to the Sex Link. What's the deal? Do they think that the Sex Link's eyelid is food or something? The rim of the chick's eyelid is kind of swollen, and she can't close her eye properly. Should I separate the Sex Link, or the chicks that are pecking at her eye? Its seems that its more than just one chick doing the pecking. We think the Sex Link is a week older than the other chicks. She stands taller than the rest of them, and has more feathers on her wings.

Last edited:
Definitely separate now.
After a few days it will probably heal and you can return.
Any injury will be pecked by the others to a not so pleasant end.

We separated her out with a screen between her and the rest of the chicks. My wife is now saying she smells kind of like raw meat. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do from here. Her right eyelid is a little swollen and has tinges of red where the skin may have been broken. I read somewhere else you could put neosporin in her eye.

Last edited:
Did you do a search on the forum for neosporin? That should give you all the information you need about using it. Maybe if you search "eye injury" you might find something helpful also. There's lots of good information hidden in all the pages.
Good luck! I hope your chick gets better quickly!

Back
Top Bottom