Eye Problem with one of my hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by almyers13, Nov 2, 2016.

1. almyers13

almyers13 New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    Hi All,

I am new to owning and taking care of chickens. Yesterday I came out to our coop and noticed one of my hens was keeping one of her eyes shut. After getting a hold of her for an up close look, her eye is a little crusty, and she can't open it, and it looks as though she has a little bit of dried blood in it. I haven't noticed any bullying by the other 2 hens and it isn't draining any pus, so I'm not quite sure what she may have done or how I should treat it. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love some advice. I'm worried she might lose her eye if she can't even open it.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Try dripping some saline or apply a warm wet comprees to her eye for about 10 minutes while she is being held in yiur lap. Then clean any crust or drainage with a clean cloth. Apply either some Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel or spray from a feed store, or plain neosporin or bacitracin ointment twice a day. Look in the eye for any dirt or seed pods, or for pus and remove. Swollen eyes with drainage can be one symptom of a respiratory disease, but also could be from pecking, injury, or infection. A respiratory disease such as MG may also include sneezing, gasping, or nasla drainage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by