Eye Problems with chickens....drops or vaccine we can use???

youdontknow32

Songster
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
South Western PA
Hello...

We it started as one roo with an eye problem and now it seems more have it...so what can we do to treat it? Eyes are becoming swollen shut half way or the whole way, some white running out....

Thank you!!

I'm sorry about your chickens. It could be one of many things and that's what is so frustrating about these things. I had the same thing happen with the flock of bantams I was caring for at a fall festival. One got it and then others came down with it. But it didn't stop there. A few dropped dead with no symptoms and others got runny noses and/or respiratory rattles. Had one necropsied and it turned out it was a relatively new disease I'd never heard of before: Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale or "ORT". But there are tons of other things it could be...Coryza, CRD (chronic respiratory disease), etc. or it could be just an eye infection but, if others are getting it, it sounds like something you better get a handle on. Any chance you can take one to the vets to see what you are dealing with so you don't have to go around second guessing? Because it depends on what it is to know how to treat it. I do know that two antibiotics that are good for many of these diseases are Amoxicillan and Tetracycline. You put those in the water. Another place you can turn to for help is www.featherfanciers.com or email them at [email protected] or call them (Dr. Peter Brown) at 1-800-950-8387. Many people on BYC turn to "Doc" for advice and he is always willing to help! I hope somebody will come along who can help you more and I send you best wishes. It's not fun and such a worry!

Back
Top Bottom