Eye/respiratory infection - Do scared ducks make a kind of huffing noise?

Ephyra

Songster
Apr 13, 2019
Hi there,

I have experience with geese but not ducks. I am in the process of moving a flock of ducks and geese who were apparently abandoned at a local pond to a sanctuary. One of the ducks, a Pekin drake, has what appears to be an eye infection but I'm worried it could be more than that. His left eye is very wet, weepy and the feathers around the eye are stained yellow. He's of course pretty traumatized by being captured and moved to a new location, and is scared of me. When I get close, he makes a kind of huffing noise. Is this a typical scared duck noise, kind of like a goose hiss? Or could it be a sign of a respiratory infection?

There's been some panting but I believe that was related to stress, he isn't panting anymore. While panting there was some discharge from the nares, but it's very possible that was just water and not mucus.

Currently spraying his eye twice a day with Vetericyn Ophthalmic. Should we be using terramycin instead? He won't be moved to the sanctuary until we have all the birds as it's a very long drive, so we need to treat it here. We have an avian vet we can bring him to if need be.

I appreciate any help - Thank you!

Last edited:
My ducks, though tame and sweet, have hissed/huffed at me when broody and I've gotten too close to their nest. I believe they are trying to intimidate me away. Maybe you could post a video and we can tell you if it is the same noise?

I've never used Vetericyn before, so I can't comment on how effective it is. I have used terramycin with good results. Personally, I would take him to the vet if you have the funding. I like to be on the safe side, and eye problems with birds can quickly become bigger issues.

I have noticed something similar with my Pekin male. His parten (a Muscovy male) passed away a few weeks ago and we rought a duckling to accompany him. However our Pekin has been very aggresive and I think we could hear a low huff when he quacks. I also noticed his eyes look a bit weird at times however this could be because he always spills his water in his coop and drinks the mud water making his coop very muddy quickly.

My ducks, though tame and sweet, have hissed/huffed at me when broody and I've gotten too close to their nest. I believe they are trying to intimidate me away. Maybe you could post a video and we can tell you if it is the same noise?

I've never used Vetericyn before, so I can't comment on how effective it is. I have used terramycin with good results. Personally, I would take him to the vet if you have the funding. I like to be on the safe side, and eye problems with birds can quickly become bigger issues.
I'll have to get a video, though I am a bit relieved to hear that is at least possibly normal. That's a great point... I'd like to just take him to the vet, but may try the terramycin first - how soon do you usually see results? Do you just dab a little on the eye? I've never actually used it, just see it mentioned often. If we don't see any improvement very soon, or if he gets any worse, I'll get him right into the vet. Thanks so much for your help!

I have noticed something similar with my Pekin male. His parten (a Muscovy male) passed away a few weeks ago and we rought a duckling to accompany him. However our Pekin has been very aggresive and I think we could hear a low huff when he quacks. I also noticed his eyes look a bit weird at times however this could be because he always spills his water in his coop and drinks the mud water making his coop very muddy quickly.
I'm so sorry his partner passed away, that's so sad :( I'm relieved to find out that it seems like huffing is something aggressive ducks do. Yeah I thought geese were messy with their water but ducks seem to take that to a whole new level, lol. I hope you figure out your Pekins aggression - thanks very much for replying!

I'll have to get a video, though I am a bit relieved to hear that is at least possibly normal. That's a great point... I'd like to just take him to the vet, but may try the terramycin first - how soon do you usually see results? Do you just dab a little on the eye? I've never actually used it, just see it mentioned often. If we don't see any improvement very soon, or if he gets any worse, I'll get him right into the vet. Thanks so much for your help!
I have usually seen results in 2-3 full days. Though, most of my experience with it is on mammals. I draw a line of medication across the entire eye. Control his head so there is no chance he can jerk it and poke his eye on the nozzle. Then open and close the eyelid kind of "massaging" the ointment over the entire globe.

Edit: I keep the nozzle as far away from the eye as possible while still being able to get the oitment in the eye. The last bit falls into the eye. I hope that makes sense. Also wash your hands first!

Back
Top Bottom