Eye Surgery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madgebadge33, Dec 20, 2015.

1. madgebadge33

madgebadge33 New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    Has anybody ever performed a home surgery to remove an infected eyeball? Just had my Chook to the vet.....could only afford to have the pus scraped out and came home with over $100 in meds. Vet thinks the infection is coming from the cornea and that the eyeball should be removed ......$700!!!!! Any ideas or suggestions for treating this bird?

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Wait what he wants to remove the eye.... There are alot of illnesses that can cause eye infection. I am not sure about that kind of surgery at home much less if its not cruel to the bird.

3. madgebadge33

madgebadge33 New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    The vet figures the infection was caused by some sort of trauma, rather than a disease

4. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Mmmm well honestly its up to you on that one i wouldnt do that kind of surgery at home because of the risk of doing more damage then good. But i wouldnt do that as a vet either on a bird simply because to the room you have to work with. And the healing process afterwords would be a lot of stress on the bird. It kinda depends on how attached you are and what your willing to do. I personally think unless the treatment would work i would cull him.

5. NYRedman

NYRedman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2015
    What does the eye show, Give me a description ?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @madgebadge33, welcome to BYC! Can you post a picture of the eye?

Kathy

7. madgebadge33

madgebadge33 New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    The eye is swollen and filled with hard pus. I am treating it 3x daily with warm saline compresses, followed with removal of as much guck as I can safely get out, then Fucilamic Vet eye gel, then Enrofloxicin twice a day, meloxicam for pain and inflammation

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Picture would be helpful.

-Kathy

9. NYRedman

NYRedman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2015
    Im not saying this will work but any type of eye injury I use Neomycin Polymyxin B Sulfates / Dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment. You can buy it at First State Vet supply, online..
    The Neomycin works well in the eye twice a day under the eyelid for most eye irritations..

Eye injuries are tough. You have to catch it early. I would not use anything else..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by