Eye Surgery

madgebadge33

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Has anybody ever performed a home surgery to remove an infected eyeball? Just had my Chook to the vet.....could only afford to have the pus scraped out and came home with over $100 in meds. Vet thinks the infection is coming from the cornea and that the eyeball should be removed ......$700!!!!! Any ideas or suggestions for treating this bird?

Wait what he wants to remove the eye.... There are alot of illnesses that can cause eye infection. I am not sure about that kind of surgery at home much less if its not cruel to the bird.

Mmmm well honestly its up to you on that one i wouldnt do that kind of surgery at home because of the risk of doing more damage then good. But i wouldnt do that as a vet either on a bird simply because to the room you have to work with. And the healing process afterwords would be a lot of stress on the bird. It kinda depends on how attached you are and what your willing to do. I personally think unless the treatment would work i would cull him.

Has anybody ever performed a home surgery to remove an infected eyeball? Just had my Chook to the vet.....could only afford to have the pus scraped out and came home with over $100 in meds. Vet thinks the infection is coming from the cornea and that the eyeball should be removed ......$700!!!!! Any ideas or suggestions for treating this bird?

What does the eye show, Give me a description ?

The eye is swollen and filled with hard pus. I am treating it 3x daily with warm saline compresses, followed with removal of as much guck as I can safely get out, then Fucilamic Vet eye gel, then Enrofloxicin twice a day, meloxicam for pain and inflammation

The eye is swollen and filled with hard pus. I am treating it 3x daily with warm saline compresses, followed with removal of as much guck as I can safely get out, then Fucilamic Vet eye gel, then Enrofloxicin twice a day, meloxicam for pain and inflammation

Picture would be helpful.

-Kathy

Im not saying this will work but any type of eye injury I use Neomycin Polymyxin B Sulfates / Dexamethasone ophthalmic ointment. You can buy it at First State Vet supply, online..
The Neomycin works well in the eye twice a day under the eyelid for most eye irritations..

Eye injuries are tough. You have to catch it early. I would not use anything else..

Back
Top Bottom