1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye Worm or a symptom of Myco?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, May 29, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    We've had some respiratory thing traveling through my small flock for almost a week now, and one pullet is displaying symptoms different than the others. Her face is slightly puffy, and the area around her left eye is a little more swollen than the others. There are tiny bubbles in the corner of her left eye as well. She hasn't had any respiratory symptoms as of yet.

Is this eye worm? Her eye is slightly puffy and the lower lid is being pushed upward ever-so-slightly, but we don't have cockroaches around here and I read that that's how they get it. In fact, I've never even seen a cockroach in real life aside from feeder roaches or those at animal shows.

So what are the differences between the bubbling/swelling from MG and that of eye worm? Should I treat with VetRx anyway and if so, how do I go about doing that?

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    If you have already noted respiratory symptoms in your flock, myco or coryza are the most likely culprits. Treat with Tylan.

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:Will Denagard(tiamulin) do the job? I just ordered some and it should arrive any day now.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Anianna. Sounds like MG or MS. If there's a foul order about the head or nostrils, it's most likely coryza. Here's a link to respiratory diseases that you can read regarding the ones that were mentioned:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:Will Denagard(tiamulin) do the job? I just ordered some and it should arrive any day now.

It is my understanding that myco and coryza are resistant to most antibiotics and the Tylan is the only one known to be effective against them.

Edit: According to that link dawg posted, I may be incorrect in this as other antibiotics have shown to be effective. Treatments are listed for each, but I do know that Tylan can be used to treat either coryza or myco effectively, so it would still be my first choice. Give your med a try and see if it is effective. If not, go for Tylan.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA

It is my understanding that myco and coryza are resistant to most antibiotics and the Tylan is the only one known to be effective against them.

Edit: According to that link dawg posted, I may be incorrect in this as other antibiotics have shown to be effective. Treatments are listed for each, but I do know that Tylan can be used to treat either coryza or myco effectively, so it would still be my first choice. Give your med a try and see if it is effective. If not, go for Tylan.

Ok great, I'll have to see if I can find some Tylan around here. I would need to ask for it since it wouldn't be in the poultry section correct?

Also, no bad smell and I got pretty dang close to her face tonight because she got dirt in the creases of her eyes and they looked like black eyes from far away, lol.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:It is my understanding that myco and coryza are resistant to most antibiotics and the Tylan is the only one known to be effective against them.

Ok great, I'll have to see if I can find some Tylan around here. I would need to ask for it since it wouldn't be in the poultry section correct?

Also, no bad smell and I got pretty dang close to her face tonight because she got dirt in the creases of her eyes and they looked like black eyes from far away, lol.

Tylan is labeled for cattle and swine. I don't think you will find it labeled for poultry. I believe the dosage for a chicken is 1/2 - 1 cc. You may want to do a search for Tylan here on BYC to make sure of that.

8. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:Ok great, I'll have to see if I can find some Tylan around here. I would need to ask for it since it wouldn't be in the poultry section correct?

Tylan is labeled for cattle and swine. I don't think you will find it labeled for poultry. I believe the dosage for a chicken is 1/2 - 1 cc. You may want to do a search for Tylan here on BYC to make sure of that.

Great, thanks for the fast reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by