Eye Worm or a symptom of Myco?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
We've had some respiratory thing traveling through my small flock for almost a week now, and one pullet is displaying symptoms different than the others. Her face is slightly puffy, and the area around her left eye is a little more swollen than the others. There are tiny bubbles in the corner of her left eye as well. She hasn't had any respiratory symptoms as of yet.

Is this eye worm? Her eye is slightly puffy and the lower lid is being pushed upward ever-so-slightly, but we don't have cockroaches around here and I read that that's how they get it. In fact, I've never even seen a cockroach in real life aside from feeder roaches or those at animal shows.

So what are the differences between the bubbling/swelling from MG and that of eye worm? Should I treat with VetRx anyway and if so, how do I go about doing that?

Quote:
Will Denagard(tiamulin) do the job? I just ordered some and it should arrive any day now.

Quote:
Will Denagard(tiamulin) do the job? I just ordered some and it should arrive any day now.

It is my understanding that myco and coryza are resistant to most antibiotics and the Tylan is the only one known to be effective against them.

Edit: According to that link dawg posted, I may be incorrect in this as other antibiotics have shown to be effective. Treatments are listed for each, but I do know that Tylan can be used to treat either coryza or myco effectively, so it would still be my first choice. Give your med a try and see if it is effective. If not, go for Tylan.

Last edited:
Quote:

It is my understanding that myco and coryza are resistant to most antibiotics and the Tylan is the only one known to be effective against them.

Edit: According to that link dawg posted, I may be incorrect in this as other antibiotics have shown to be effective. Treatments are listed for each, but I do know that Tylan can be used to treat either coryza or myco effectively, so it would still be my first choice. Give your med a try and see if it is effective. If not, go for Tylan.

Ok great, I'll have to see if I can find some Tylan around here. I would need to ask for it since it wouldn't be in the poultry section correct?

Also, no bad smell and I got pretty dang close to her face tonight because she got dirt in the creases of her eyes and they looked like black eyes from far away, lol.

Last edited:
Quote:

Ok great, I'll have to see if I can find some Tylan around here. I would need to ask for it since it wouldn't be in the poultry section correct?

Also, no bad smell and I got pretty dang close to her face tonight because she got dirt in the creases of her eyes and they looked like black eyes from far away, lol.

Tylan is labeled for cattle and swine. I don't think you will find it labeled for poultry. I believe the dosage for a chicken is 1/2 - 1 cc. You may want to do a search for Tylan here on BYC to make sure of that.

Quote:

Tylan is labeled for cattle and swine. I don't think you will find it labeled for poultry. I believe the dosage for a chicken is 1/2 - 1 cc. You may want to do a search for Tylan here on BYC to make sure of that.

Great, thanks for the fast reply!

Back
Top Bottom