Eyes Closed most of the time

Tricia's Triple Z

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 7, 2007
I have 4, 14 week old Ameraucana's, one of them has her eyes are closed quite often, she has been acting strange, kind of lazy, she eats, runs,chases and "hangs" with the others. She opens them when I call out for her or she hears a noise, otherwise she has them closed. I thought that she was blind at one point because it is the lower eyelid that is white/grayish and closing. They are not watery or odd looking. I have also made sure that her muff isn't in it. I can't figure this out. Any suggestions? Thanks

* Any difference in conditions she favors?? Does she seem to prefer shade? Sun? Does she seem to be "fluffed up" a lot or constipated?? Has she been wormed recently?? Does she scratch a lot?? or sneeze?? If you pick her up, does she seem to flinch like it hurts at all?

does she ever act drunk, or seem off balance, or limp, or have one wing hanging low?

is it possible she was pecked in the eye?
it's possible that what you're seeing is the extra eyelid chickens have..kind of filmy..
when they have an eye injury, this lid sometimes hangs down.

wouldn't hurt to give her some vitamins..poultry vvitamins if you have them..or Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins Enfamil brand, no iron....2-3 drops on beak once a day for a week or so, then taper off.

try washing the eye with eye wash, and treating with terramycin eye ointment..(found at most feed/farm stores).
or if you have any antibiotic eye drops for humans..you can use that, but less then dose for human.

Last edited:
my 3 month old light brahma is doing this also...she DOES seem off balance very lethargic and prefers shade. she stays in the coop while the other chickens free range. She will eat but just seems weak. if i pick her up she will close both eyes but when she sits she just closes her right eye...shes been like this for a couple of days...
sad.png

I was watching her today..she is very active. Tonight I was in the coop, she acts like she hears me then stares at the wall. I recently (say 2 weeks) took away thier cage and mixed them in with the others (1yr hens & guineas) they all cower in the corner, but the others are active after I come in the coop. I dunno, I will try the suggestions, where would I get worn medicine? The were vaccinated when I got them.

it's always best to have a fecal float done at a vet to test for worms and cocci, etc..

Wazine 17 (piperazine) is easy to get at most farm/feed stores..and easy to use..but it only treats adult round worms..
for a broader wormer..Ivomec/Eprinex works well..
available at the same stores, or online at livestock suppliers..
such as jefferslivestock.com

link to info about Ivomec:

http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html

Last edited:
I am not sure having the birds penned with guineas is such a good idea...have heard a lot of reports that the guineas are too agressive for this.

I have had my others in with the guineas for over a year. I actually have 3 hens sitting and they don't bother each other, never had.

Back
Top Bottom