Eyes Swollen shut/ mucus in both nostrils/ raspy breathing thru mouth

Pics

Kandace Edgar

Chirping
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Hey y’all, I’ve got an 8 month old Roo with both eyes swollen, mucus n both nostrils and raspy rattling breathing. I noticed yesterday he had 1 eye kind of swollen and he was rattling a little so I separated him and have brought him in and have him in a dog kennel and I used a small child’s med syringe to suction mucus out yesterday and he seemed ok, not great but at least like he felt a little better. Woke up to check on him thru out nite and now both eyes are swollen shut. I had a lady tell me to stick a needle in it to help it drain faster? Will that work? I’m scared to death to do that😬😬😬 but if it will work I’m all for it however if there’s a better solution…as of right now I’m trying to flush his eyes with an eye wash solution but any other suggestions or what to do is greatly appreciated 🥰🙂🥲PLEASE HELP!!!????

Attachments

• F1B66EB6-4078-4AF8-931B-6334CD87D091.jpeg
    F1B66EB6-4078-4AF8-931B-6334CD87D091.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 66
  • E39BED25-D562-425E-9D2E-BE749A9125D7.jpeg
    E39BED25-D562-425E-9D2E-BE749A9125D7.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 9
Stick a needle where?! What kind of needle?! :eek:

I wouldn't do that.

Today is out as it's a Holiday but, how are you for avian veterinarians in your area? Sounds like he may need a visit and some meds (antibiotics maybe?).
Yes she said she used a needle to basically lance it so it would drain however I DONT FEEL AT ALLLLL comfortable doing that…I’ve been flushing both eyes with eye wash solution, and have been using a small child’s dropper to suction what mucus i could get of his nose and now both eyes are atleast able to open halfway…we’re taking a little break for a minute right now I don’t want to stress him out and I’ve got him confined in a big dog kennel, and of course it’s a holiday 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ but there is an excellent Avian vet about an hour from me that i can get to 1st thing in morning.

Yes she said she used a needle to basically lance it so it would drain however I DONT FEEL AT ALLLLL comfortable doing that…I’ve been flushing both eyes with eye wash solution, and have been using a small child’s dropper to suction what mucus i could get of his nose and now both eyes are atleast able to open halfway…we’re taking a little break for a minute right now I don’t want to stress him out and I’ve got him confined in a big dog kennel, and of course it’s a holiday 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ but there is an excellent Avian vet about an hour from me that i can get to 1st thing in morning.
Also she did say she stuck the needle in the very bottom of the part that’s swollen….but again…I’m nowhere near close to thinking I’m a professional chicken breeder nor do I have any intention of sticking a needle in my lil Roo😬 not happening. I still consider myself a newbie at this seeing as I’ve only had chickens and turkeys for a few years

Yes to the vet. Your roo definitely looks like he needs antibiotics.

I'm also on the "no way" side of whether to stick anything with a needle if you don't know what you're doing, especially because I don't think it would be the difference between life and death in this case.

Seems like you're taking good care of him... Hope he pulls through

It sounds possibly like a respiratory disease such as coryza. Does he have any cough, wheeze, gasping, or nasal snots? Could he have been stung by something? Does he stink? If coryza is a problem he may need antibiotics such as SMZ TMP or sulfadimethoxine. I would rinse his eye with saline and apply some antibiotic eye ointment twice a day. I would not drain his eyes with a needle. If there is pus around his sinus, it may need to be pressed out.

It sounds possibly like a respiratory disease such as coryza. Does he have any cough, wheeze, gasping, or nasal snots? Could he have been stung by something? Does he stink? If coryza is a problem he may need antibiotics such as SMZ TMP or sulfadimethoxine. I would rinse his eye with saline and apply some antibiotic eye ointment twice a day. I would not drain his eyes with a needle. If there is pus around his sinus, it may need to be pressed out.
So our chicken vet clinic is closed☹️ all the way to Monday and DONT WORRY the only needle im sticking anywhere is to give the tylan injection, I’ve gotten him started on tylan 50, have been flushing both eyes with saline solution and also have eye ointment im putting in several or more times a day and also using a nasal bulb to suck the mucus out every hour or 2 or basically just when he needs it, Today his swelling has decreased by half and he’s got both eyes open…rattling is wayyyy better than it was yesterday and he actually let me get some flavorless pedialyte in him🙂 Major improvement from yesterday and the day before. Also have another young roo and hen that started showing the same signs( a lil swollen on one eye) so I’ve alrdy given them a dose of the tylan as well, flushed with saline and applied eye ointment so I hope to nip this in the bud. I’ve only had 1 other Roo a few years ago get sick like this so now that it seems to be spreading I’m in a panic but have the 3 sick babies all quaritined. In dog kennels in my house. We’ve got a lot of cold / wet rainy weather happening in South Ar right now so I’m assuming they definitely don’t need to be out in the rain or even in the dampness outside. I’ve cleaned all 3 of my coops and replaced all bedding with new bedding, so Hopefully I can manage until our vet opens back up Monday. Surely since my Donald Roo has improved so much then I’m doing something right, lord I hope. This is all brand new for me😬 but I love love LOVE my birds and if he gets worse I’ll be making an emergency trip to vet over an hour away. That’s the only vet close that specializes in chickens/turkeys/ etc…but any other suggestions or anything are very much appreciated yall, and thank y’all so much for helping 🙂 thank you!!!

Also meant to say No it doesn’t stink, but does have the raspy breathing but it’s much better today after the dose of tylan and please tell me the method to smush the puss out from his sinus…his little “cheeks” if u will lol under his eyes was double in size yesterday before I got the tylan in him and I’ve been using the nasal bulb to suck what I can out every hour or earlier if need be but today I’ve only had to use the suction bulb once since 630 so that’s major improvement in itself from yesterday …but please tell me how to push it out if I need to??? I don’t wanna hurt him or smush the wrong spot and make it go a different direction that the way it should…bare with me this is all brand new 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ but thank u so much!!!
So our chicken vet clinic is closed☹️ all the way to Monday and DONT WORRY the only needle im sticking anywhere is to give the tylan injection, I’ve gotten him started on tylan 50, have been flushing both eyes with saline solution and also have eye ointment im putting in several or more times a day and also using a nasal bulb to suck the mucus out every hour or 2 or basically just when he needs it, Today his swelling has decreased by half and he’s got both eyes open…rattling is wayyyy better than it was yesterday and he actually let me get some flavorless pedialyte in him🙂 Major improvement from yesterday and the day before. Also have another young roo and hen that started showing the same signs( a lil swollen on one eye) so I’ve alrdy given them a dose of the tylan as well, flushed with saline and applied eye ointment so I hope to nip this in the bud. I’ve only had 1 other Roo a few years ago get sick like this so now that it seems to be spreading I’m in a panic but have the 3 sick babies all quaritined. In dog kennels in my house. We’ve got a lot of cold / wet rainy weather happening in South Ar right now so I’m assuming they definitely don’t need to be out in the rain or even in the dampness outside. I’ve cleaned all 3 of my coops and replaced all bedding with new bedding, so Hopefully I can manage until our vet opens back up Monday. Surely since my Donald Roo has improved so much then I’m doing something right, lord I hope. This is all brand new for me😬 but I love love LOVE my birds and if he gets worse I’ll be making an emergency trip to vet over an hour away. That’s the only vet close that specializes in chickens/turkeys/ etc…but any other suggestions or anything are very much appreciated yall, and thank y’all so much for helping 🙂 thank you!!!to say

Did you see where I suggested giving the Tylan 50 orally, instead of injecting it? There can be a risk of muscle damage with Tylan injectable. It is much easier to do that 3 times a day. I don’t think I would use a bulb syringe on their nostrils, but just clean the nostrils off with a damp tissue if they have snots. You can look up inside the roof of the beak to see if there is any gunk up in the choanal slit, which is connected to the sinus.
1669477051954.jpeg

Ok awesome Thank you for telling me to look n tip of his mouth too that seems so logical …(Duh🤦🏼‍♀️) please bare with me I’m a wreck, and ok I’ve never given meds orally cuz I’m terrified it’s going to go in the wrong place since they have that opening n top of their mouth so any tips or suggestions on how to give meds orally?

Back
Top Bottom