Eyesight bad

glenn2229

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
mebane, nc
One of my Buffs cannot free range because she misses anything she tries to peck. Misses by 1/2 inch or more. She eats fine from feeder but can't come up with scratch or bugs and things. Is there anything to do to help her?

Maybe glasses?

No, Only kidding here. I had a chick that couldn't get a meal worm from my fingers. When I put a pile of them in my palm...she would miss the worms and try to peck my palm. I was -- thinking was it her development?, or vitamins deficiency? what??

My plan was to get her out every day for 'therapy'. I would put a bunch of mealworms in a little hand-held pan and have the bottom coated with feed. She had a 'target-rich' environment...where ever she pecked she would come up with something. For a couple of days we did this and she seemed to be improving with her aim.

What impressed me was that she would hop up the perches to the top of the cage and jump out ready for 'lessons'. She was a really smart little bird. The other night she was killed by a raccoon...so I will never know. I was going to come on the forum here...to see if anyone else had ever experienced this.

I would suggest that there may be a slight possibility that you could work with this chicken and she could learn some adaptive behaviors to modify where she pecks in relation to what she is trying to get. I'm subscribing to see what other answers you get.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your hen. That has got to be hard to take. I will try doing something extra with just her. I keep her seperated now since she has gotton broody. I have given her extra time but will try your suggesstion. I guess it is not that big a deal since she does fine at the feeder. It is just bad watching her try to eat a crickett or worm and can't get it and another hen comes over and gone......thanks,

Well, she did make it to adult hood---- minus the really good stuff of chicken life---like bugs. Thanks for posting... I wonder how mine would have come out. -- If you are having your broody raise chicks...I wonder if she will be able to teach them to forage. (although part of it is just natural...I think a hen gives the babies a leg-up on the cage raised chicks...and they can forage better.

Post back if there is a change in the future.

I'm so sorry about your hen ChicKat. :(

I have a little bantam Light Brahma that is going to be 3 this coming Spring. Her eyesight's been going downhill for the last two years though. She'll try to peck my hand, but misses by a couple inches. I'm assuming it won't be long before she can't see at all. :( She can function just fine though, she scratches and runs around normally, eats and drinks, and is really just a normal chicken, except sometimes she misses the feeder or the water or something, but she always gets it the second or third time.

Late this summer she was attacked by a hawk, but luckily our Borgi chased it off in time and she was fine besides an easily treatable wound on her back and some missing feathers. While she was inside I just had her water in a tupperware, but she had no idea it was there because it might as well've just been invisible to her. So I just put a drop of food coloring in and she figured it out right away.

She's tough, smart, friendly, and personable, everything I like in a chicken, and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

As long as they can still find food and water (if they're totally blind I would show them where it is until they figure it out, then just make sure food and water is ALWAYS in that spot, and that they can't accidentally fall in deep water and drown) and aren't at risk for predator attacks (especially aerial) you'll probably be fine. Eliza gets along just fine, and sometimes she can even manage to catch a grasshopper if it's big enough for her to see.

~~Ms. B :)

Last edited:
Ms B
Thank you for the kind words, And thanks doubly. It is interesting to hear how an animal can cope. I have one that the raccoon pulled an entire wing from..... I'm pretty sure she will live...but the ding bat keeps trying to fly off my hand when she is above the cage...and goes crashing down. Like your chicken...tough, friendly -- but mine is also a ding bat.

All the best to your little one, and thanks for the tips for people with sight-impaired chickens.

Back
Top Bottom