EYP Amoxi Question

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends. I’m treating a 3 year old hen with fish amoxicillian (250) with what I think is EYP. I did 8 days of 1 pill per day before realizing the amoxi was expired! I stopped giving them to her for 3 days. 😭 She hasn’t improved much. She continues to eat and drink and free range daily but at night I can tell she is a bit uncomfortable. I ordered a new jar of them and got them today. Can I restart this amoxi? If so how many days should I do? I realize they can build up a tolerance but are there any other concerns with continuing? I just want to try and make her more comfortable and help her if I can. Thank you!

Unless stored improperly, the Amoxicillin should be good for a few years after expiration date.

If you feel that she may benefit from another round, then start her again once you get the new bottle. Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight, given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

Unless stored improperly, the Amoxicillin should be good for a few years after expiration date.

If you feel that she may benefit from another round, then start her again once you get the new bottle. Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight, given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.
Thank you! Is amoxicillian the best antbiotic for this? I don’t have vet access so it’s all I have. I can buy something different if you have a suggestion 🙏🏻

Hi there. Quick question 🙏🏻 I have Mildfed another round 8 days of the non expired amoxi and she seems to be doing fairly well… the day after I stopped her comb started to flop and turn a bit purple at tips…I know I’m dealing with something serious.. reproductive issue etc.. I know this will eventually take her BUT would it hurt her to just continue antibiotics? Maybe stopping made her worse? How long can you give them? Thanks for helping!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 0
You really should not keep her on antibiotics past the 7-10 days. Her gut bacteria need to get back to normal, and some probiotics or plain yogurt with cultures 1tsp a day may help with that. The darkened comb tips could be a sign that her condition is worsening, but sometimes it is just from excitement, temperature changes, or dehydration.

I have Mildfed another round 8 days of the non expired amoxi and she seems to be doing fairly well… the day after I stopped her comb started to flop and turn a bit purple at tips…I know I’m dealing with something serious.. reproductive issue etc.. I know this will eventually take her BUT would it hurt her to just continue antibiotics?
She's had 2 rounds.
I would not extend the antibiotics.
Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight, given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

Hi there! I was hoping you could answer antibiotic question for me 🙏🏻 My Mildred hanging in there.. but clearly still dealing with EYP. I know she won’t recover completely and ultimately this will end her but I thought about trying another round of amoxi or I just orders Baytril. Do you recommend either of these? Also if so what would you recommend for Baytril dosage? 🥰🙏🏻🐓

Hi there! I was hoping you could answer antibiotic question for me 🙏🏻 My Mildred hanging in there.. but clearly still dealing with EYP. I know she won’t recover completely and ultimately this will end her but I thought about trying another round of amoxi or I just orders Baytril. Do you recommend either of these? Also if so what would you recommend for Baytril dosage? 🥰🙏🏻🐓
Baytril (Enrofloxacin) 10% liquid dose is 0.05ml per pound of weight, given orally twice a day for 5 days in a row.

Batyril is a very strong antibiotic, if it doesn't help, then likely nothing will.

Back
Top Bottom