EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

Pics
While I impatiently wait for things to dry and be cut for the next steps, I decided to add something fun to the “accent” wall 😁😁

CD811220-B5BB-491A-A0F0-7D43FBD93A7E.jpeg

Slowly making next step progress. This weekend I’m taking the show babies to the Pacific Poultry Breeders Association show so I have switched my focus to cleaning up chickens for show :)

The boards for the run are being painted
026D958A-DD1B-48F6-BBD5-EB3E76A0B3AD.jpeg

and I’ve been watching videos on how to do a few things like attach doors, cut out shapes with a jigsaw, and game planning my quail pen that I am doing next. :-D I am going to try using U posts, attaching the hardware cloth, and then screwing boards right onto the U post. We will see how it works—quail don’t need the same amount of protection so it should go quickly! I hope 😆

Poultry show is over and I’m shifting my focus back to coops! My show birds did pretty well! There were 1932 birds entered and feather-legged and rose comb clean legs were stiff categories! My d’Anvers and my bantam Ameraucanas were the only ones in their varieties, so they did well 😆😆 But my white bantam Wyandotte rooster took 3rd and my buff bantam Brahma rooster took 5th. I also came home with more birds so the coops REALLY need to get finished! 🤪

So with all that said, we connected some additional studs today, cut some siding down to fit, and I put the first door together and painted it!

9B1614FC-5F77-4112-8A0C-C833D8AE1E0C.jpeg

E5FC006A-04DF-4329-95DF-0ECB970D34A4.jpeg

Tomorrow I am going to trace out holes for the door into the siding, attach the poop boards, finish up some painting, and we will get ready for all the cutting this weekend!

Poultry show is over and I’m shifting my focus back to coops! My show birds did pretty well! There were 1932 birds entered and feather-legged and rose comb clean legs were stiff categories! My d’Anvers and my bantam Ameraucanas were the only ones in their varieties, so they did well 😆😆 But my white bantam Wyandotte rooster took 3rd and my buff bantam Brahma rooster took 5th. I also came home with more birds so the coops REALLY need to get finished! 🤪

So with all that said, we connected some additional studs today, cut some siding down to fit, and I put the first door together and painted it!

View attachment 3391313
View attachment 3391312

Tomorrow I am going to trace out holes for the door into the siding, attach the poop boards, finish up some painting, and we will get ready for all the cutting this weekend!
Wow! It looks so professional! Yall are doing amazin!
And I'm sure the new babies will LUV it!
Congratulations on the show wins!!!

@JoeCT any tips on the best type of paint sealer? The gold spray paint I’m using comes off pretty easily from some of the metal and it got me to thinking I may want to seal the paint on my windows I’m creating from IKEA “wood” so they are waterproof…which got me thinking about sealing the paint on all the wood. Do I need it? What is best and easiest?

Thanks! :)

Depends on type of paint. If it’s an outdoor paint than it shouldn’t need to be sealed I painted the exterior one ov my coop with basic exterior paint (the cheap Walmart brand I had around at that) and still looks good and sealed now still 3 + years. ( except where one of the goats wanted to chew the side once. :idunno
:rolleyes:
Cause goats ( but that’s a whole different story :D)
I usually use “ Barn and fence” paint. It’s about 2/3 to 1/2 the price of regular exterior paint and coats well. But I can only find it in white or red. Sure there’s more out then I just now around here

View attachment 3391313
View attachment 3391312

Looking great so far. I do love the color
I actually just painted my bedroom recently with almost that exact color.

@JoeCT any tips on the best type of paint sealer? The gold spray paint I’m using comes off pretty easily from some of the metal and it got me to thinking I may want to seal the paint on my windows I’m creating from IKEA “wood” so they are waterproof…which got me thinking about sealing the paint on all the wood. Do I need it? What is best and easiest?

Thanks! :)
As for the windows what you really want to use there is a bonding primer like the one in the pic. As long as you give the substrate a quick scuff with a scotchbrite pad followed by a wipe down with a damp rag and let it dry before priming it will be very durable. Follow the steps of the fog coat plus 2 coats with the primer and top coat. Beyond that you would add a nice gloss exterior grade clear coat to top it off and go overboard but get great results. The clear coat will also stop your gold foot prints from flaking/peeling off. I say it is worth it considering the awesome job you guys are already doing. 😁 Here is a link for a brush/roller applied clear coat that I have used with awesome results.

https://eco-buildingproducts.com/product/afm-safecoat-polyurseal-ext-exterior-clear-finish-gloss/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131_171147_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131_171147_Chrome.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom