EZ Plucker

I wonder what happened? Did you contact the company about it yet? We have the 151 and have used it successfully on around 500 birds so far and haven't noticed any damage to the fingers. I will make sure to check it over carefully before we process the next batch.

Quote:
Sorry to hear you had problems with it. We'll be using ours for the first time next week so we'll see how it turns out.

I don't think you're "out of luck" with your plucker just yet. Have you tried a different brand of fingers in the bottom? There are different brands, types, and hardness levels available for fingers. Perhaps it needs some softer, more flexible fingers. I realize that it should have lasted longer and you shouldn't have to shell out more money, but you can either fix it or use it as a lawn ornament.

Many of the commercial pluckers don't have anywhere near that number of fingers on the sides of the drum. I don't know if they can be removed without damaging them, but maybe you could try pulling fingers from the sides to replace broken ones on the bottom for a cheap fix.

That's the most common complaint I have heard so far - plucker fingers going bad early on.

I still haven't costed out building mine. I need to have one by September 3rd because I have a customer expecting it ready.

I've eyed a featherman, especially so since they are made in the USA and have a gear reducer on all models. They are pricey though.

I've also thought about saying screw it and making my own similar to Featherman's turkey model. The ability to rent out and utilize a larger plucker right off the bat will keep me from having to buy it later.

Decisions, decisions.

I would say contact CConly again and send them pictures of the fingers. Ask for a credit or refund so that you can buy higher quality plucker fingers.

quite interesting. out of curiosity, why did you (anyone who bought one of these) go with this, as opposed to the whizbang. to be honest, i don't know if you can buy one (whizbang) that is pre-assembled, so don't know if it's a matter of buying-a-ready-to-go vs buying-a-pre-assembled thing, or if there are other factors.

side note: what is the deal with everyone spraying them with water while plucking? is that necessary? we've always plucked by hand, but the last time we processed we used a chicken plucker with a wheel of fingers you moved the chicken around on. anyway, from my experience i would think spraying them with cold water would be detrimental to the process. i mean, that is why you're heating them in the first place, and sometimes having to re-scald them to get troublesome feathers. just curious
smile.png

also, we keep the temp at 140, or the skin does tear. do you guys find these rip the skin, even when scalded at proper temps?

Last edited:
The way the plucker is designed the water washes the feathers out of the drum. I would think that if they mounted up that the machine would not work.

Quote:
The water needs to be sprayed to rinse the feathers out while the bird is being plucked. A friend and I have made multiple Whizbangs, and we just spray with a garden hose for the 15 seconds it takes.

Quote:
i see
smile.png

these people (elsewhere- youtube, etc) were showing times of 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. if it's in there only 15 seconds, it's done before the water cool it almost

thanks
smile.png

Quote:
Is there a belt-tensioner you can adjust? We had the same problem with our Whizbang when the spring we were using was too weak. A stouter spring kept more tension on the drive belt and got rid of the slippage.

I bought Killing Cones off of cconly in the past and they sent me the wrong size, but they were quick to send the right ones when I told them. Recently I ordered a burner and the EZPlucker 151. They sent me the wrong burner and the EZPlucker 131. They advertise that the 131 has 131 fingers I believe, but when I counted them there was only 114. I called to complain and they told me they sold out of the 151 and couldn't get it to me till Sept. I will be culling my chickens next week. They said they would send me the right burner and take money off for the 131. Does anyone know if the 131 is good enough to do 60 -75 birds a year?

Back
Top Bottom