Fabulous feathered silkies! Don't buy from her!

I know I posted this thread a while ago. Since then I've had several phone calls of others who have bought from her and have gotten sick chicks as well. It's just the saddest situation. Please if there is anybody else out there please please turn her in. She has to stop doing what she's doing. The conditions are deplorable it's major abuse of those poor silkies.
So I never told everyone the results of all the testing and my flock. I did all the antibiotics and the ivermectin and The chicks that I got from her retested And they all retested negative. They basically were in quarantine for about 6 months because I was completely paranoid I was going to lose my entire flock! I literally basically took my coops and my runs apart and sanitized everything to additional times and then put everything back together.
They have reintegrated and now that it's August of 2022 my flocks are very healthy and I've had no issues. But if I hadn't read through advice on backyard chickens and other people who were calling me about this particular person, I literally would have had to cull my entire flock. So thank you very much for all your support and your help.!
I'm glad everything worked out for you.
I wish that animal control had confiscated her animals and shut her down. She is obviously an animal horder. It's sad, people would, rightfully, be up in arms if this were puppies and dogs, but chickens unfortunately, won't get much interest from the press.

I wish that animal control had confiscated her animals and shut her down. She is obviously an animal horder. It's sad, people would, rightfully, be up in arms if this were puppies and dogs, but chickens unfortunately, won't get much interest from the press.
Janie Doe if you would open your mind a bit broader and actually read her post, you would understand that according to the results of her testing, the chicks were never sick to begin with. She recieved info in this forum, based on gossip, not any necropsy results. It caused her to put herself through unneeded stress for negitive results. The on lo y thing she accomplished besides stressing herself and her flock out, was trashing someone's name based on gossip!

Janie Doe if you would open your mind a bit broader and actually read her post, you would understand that according to the results of her testing, the chicks were never sick to begin with. She recieved info in this forum, based on gossip, not any necropsy results. It caused her to put herself through unneeded stress for negitive results. The on lo y thing she accomplished besides stressing herself and her flock out, was trashing someone's name based on gossip!
I have no idea what you are talking about. I read the entire thread again. And, I read the thread referenced in post #2 also.

I see you already found this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fabulously-feathered-silkies.1272845/

Someone had a necropsy done on the chicks they got that died and they came back positive for coryza, infectious bronchitis, and BOTH mycoplasma species.

I hate to say it but I would cull these chicks before you get your whole flock sick. These are not diseases that can ever be cured so if they make it into your flock, that's it.
I have not been able to locate a necropsy with any positive results if any kind. Where is it? I think its gossip and nothing more.

...according to the results of her testing, the chicks were never sick to begin with. She recieved info in this forum, based on gossip, not any necropsy results. It caused her to put herself through unneeded stress for negitive results. The on lo y thing she accomplished besides stressing herself and her flock out, was trashing someone's name based on gossip!

I have no idea what you are talking about. I read the entire thread again. And, I read the thread referenced in post #2 also.

@janiedoe Here are the posts about whether the chicks were sick:

Had one of her chickens tested vet said he has ACINITOBACTER and everything else they found was just natural contaminants found in soil. Which is weird because I'm so paranoid that the chicken runs on the coop are so clean all the time. She's going to give me a series of two antibiotics to give to all 25 chickens and then we will test the original chicken one more time after that and hopefully I will have saved my flock and everything will be fine.
(Vet found one kind of bacteria but nothing else concerning, and prescribed medicine)

I did all the antibiotics and the ivermectin and The chicks that I got from her retested And they all retested negative. They basically were in quarantine for about 6 months because I was completely paranoid I was going to lose my entire flock! I literally basically took my coops and my runs apart and sanitized everything to additional times and then put everything back together.
They have reintegrated and now that it's August of 2022 my flocks are very healthy and I've had no issues. But if I hadn't read through advice on backyard chickens and other people who were calling me about this particular person, I literally would have had to cull my entire flock. So thank you very much for all your support and your help.!
(Chickens took medicine, vet retested, chickens were fine. No illness at all.)

So according to the original poster of this thread, their chickens did NOT have any of the nasty diseases that other people had been reporting in the other thread.

@Chryscoop, as regards the other thread,
I have not been able to locate a necropsy with any positive results if any kind. Where is it? I think its gossip and nothing more.
I found one post that includes images of laboratory results. It's on the first page of that thread. Here's a link that should take you directly to that post (images are at the very end of the post).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fabulously-feathered-silkies.1272845/#post-20986101

@janiedoe Here are the posts about whether the chicks were sick:

(Vet found one kind of bacteria but nothing else concerning, and prescribed medicine)

(Chickens took medicine, vet retested, chickens were fine. No illness at all.)

So according to the original poster of this thread, their chickens did NOT have any of the nasty diseases that other people had been reporting in the other thread.

@Chryscoop, as regards the other thread,

I found one post that includes images of laboratory results. It's on the first page of that thread. Here's a link that should take you directly to that post (images are at the very end of the post).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fabulously-feathered-silkies.1272845/#post-20986101
Thank you Nate.
Yes I have read the reports. I was referring to the post by @Chryscoop critiquing me for my comments concerning someone mistreating the chickens.

Thank you Nate.
Yes I have read the reports. I was referring to the post by @Chryscoop critiquing me for my comments concerning someone mistreating the chickens.
I thought you were saying that you couldn't find the parts about the chickens in this thread not being sick (which was one of the points made by @Chryscoop )

Whether the seller had chickens in bad conditions is one question, and whether the person sold actual sick chickens is a different question-- I mistook which one you were talking about.

I agree that the living conditions of the seller's chickens, as described by the original poster in this thread, sound bad.

I thought you were saying that you couldn't find the parts about the chickens in this thread not being sick (which was one of the points made by @Chryscoop )

Whether the seller had chickens in bad conditions is one question, and whether the person sold actual sick chickens is a different question-- I mistook which one you were talking about.

I agree that the living conditions of the seller's chickens, as described by the original poster in this thread, sound bad.
Im curious as to what prompted @Chryscoop to revive this thread? Perhaps a connection to FFS? I googled and noticed that FFS is still in business, even after all the reports of selling sick birds. Such a shame!

Im curious as to what prompted @Chryscoop to revive this thread? Perhaps a connection to FFS? I googled and noticed that FFS is still in business, even after all the reports of selling sick birds. Such a shame!
I just assumed it was a new poster, who saw something they wanted to comment on, and didn't check dates to see how recent the thread was.

It's pretty common with people who just joined to do that a few times. (And some of us who have been here longer still make that mistake on occasion. I've done it more often than I like :oops: )

Back
Top Bottom