Fabulously Feathered Silkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Beware buying anything from this breeder. I have had probably 20 people contact me that had bought birds from her that died. They call me because she uses my name, saying her birds came from my lines. They did, but she bought all pet quality chicks, started breeding & is selling chicks as show quality that have disqualifying faults. Plus, check out her reviews from Welp. She sells roosters to people by telling them they're hens & won't honor a guarantee. Don't sell anything to her either. She bought several chicks from me, called on her way home & told me 2 died, & I told her I would refund or replace them & she said she definitely wanted 2 replacements & would come back the next day. I didn't really believe her about the chicks so I asked her to bring me the 2 chicks in a plastic bag which she agreed to. She immediately went to her bank & tried to stop payment on her whole check for $130! I have an email from her that sounds like she is totally insane! Stay away from this person. There isn't enough space here to even try to tell you everything.

Anyone have an experience with this breeder? All of my chicks came to me sick, I want to know if anyone else has experienced problems. I've had a 50% mortality rate, see my profile for details

Hey there. So I just came across your post and I had the same experience. I see all of these happy chicken posts and I am sad to say I don’t have one. My husband decided to get me chicks. We knew nothing about them, total newbies. He called many places but only found one breeder selling them locally, at fabulous feathered silkies. Upon arrival there were only older chickens available and a couple chicks. She agreed to take us to her temp location where the chicks were. First thing I noticed were several dead chicks. I figured this was normal with so many in her flock. I said I wanted pure silkie and she helped me pick a few out. (I would later discover 3 were cochins, not silkies)

Within 24hrs the silkie died. I asked for a refund or a replacement. Two days later 2 became sick. A month later she finally set up a time for me to come for my replacement bird. This was at a 3rd location. She would not allow me to see the chicks. I told her what I wanted but each one she picked up seemed to have something wrong with it and several were throwing up. I saw a few through the crack of the door that I liked, but she wanted to keep keep them, even though she had several. I finally just took what she gave me and left.

The entire ride home my husband gagged by the smell of this little chick. It was horrid and smelt just like odor emitting from the room they were in. I get home and see I have a white silkie that was covered in feces. I bathe and quarantine the chick, but within a few days it dies. I had already been to the vet for the other 2 sick ones and received a diagnosis of Mycoplasma gallisepticum. I now had another dead bird. The vet recommended I take the remaining birds to UC Davis to have them euthanized and a necropsy performed.

Prior to making this decision I contacted Dawne hoping to give her the birds back and get a refund but she refused. She later had the nerve to say she had agreed to take the birds. Once the report came back it was clear the disease originated from her flock. Again I asked for my money but she demanded the report in exchange for a refund. I agreed and in good faith emailed her the report. She did not keep her end of the deal.

The report was extremely sad to read, but it was clear that all of the birds suffered from the horrible illnesses, with the newest one being in the worst condition and having additional ailments. Dawne has now dismissed the necropsy report and has accused me of trying to destroy her business. I am disgusted by the unethical behavior this woman has displayed, the lack of accountability, as well as the lack of compassion for the emotional toll this has taken on my family.

I am not the first to encounter an experience like this. I have since come across over 25 people who have dealt with the exact same issues. This is not a reputable, responsible breeder, this is a chicken mill. Please save yourselves the pain and buy elsewhere.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.11.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.11.37 PM.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.11.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.11.52 PM.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 112
Hey there. So I just came across your post and I had the same experience. I see all of these happy chicken posts and I am sad to say I don’t have one. My husband decided to get me chicks. We knew nothing about them, total newbies. He called many places but only found one breeder selling them locally, at fabulous feathered silkies. Upon arrival there were only older chickens available and a couple chicks. She agreed to take us to her temp location where the chicks were. First thing I noticed were several dead chicks. I figured this was normal with so many in her flock. I said I wanted pure silkie and she helped me pick a few out. (I would later discover 3 were cochins, not silkies)

Within 24hrs the silkie died. I asked for a refund or a replacement. Two days later 2 became sick. A month later she finally set up a time for me to come for my replacement bird. This was at a 3rd location. She would not allow me to see the chicks. I told her what I wanted but each one she picked up seemed to have something wrong with it and several were throwing up. I saw a few through the crack of the door that I liked, but she wanted to keep keep them, even though she had several. I finally just took what she gave me and left.

The entire ride home my husband gagged by the smell of this little chick. It was horrid and smelt just like odor emitting from the room they were in. I get home and see I have a white silkie that was covered in feces. I bathe and quarantine the chick, but within a few days it dies. I had already been to the vet for the other 2 sick ones and received a diagnosis of Mycoplasma gallisepticum. I now had another dead bird. The vet recommended I take the remaining birds to UC Davis to have them euthanized and a necropsy performed.

Prior to making this decision I contacted Dawne hoping to give her the birds back and get a refund but she refused. She later had the nerve to say she had agreed to take the birds. Once the report came back it was clear the disease originated from her flock. Again I asked for my money but she demanded the report in exchange for a refund. I agreed and in good faith emailed her the report. She did not keep her end of the deal.

The report was extremely sad to read, but it was clear that all of the birds suffered from the horrible illnesses, with the newest one being in the worst condition and having additional ailments. Dawne has now dismissed the necropsy report and has accused me of trying to destroy her business. I am disgusted by the unethical behavior this woman has displayed, the lack of accountability, as well as the lack of compassion for the emotional toll this has taken on my family.

I am not the first to encounter an experience like this. I have since come across over 25 people who have dealt with the exact same issues. This is not a reputable, responsible breeder, this is a chicken mill. Please save yourselves the pain and buy elsewhere.
I am sorry you had to deal with this person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom