*face mites experts - need your help! See post #19*

When my EE had scaly leg mites I used the OTC for scabies in humans. it was $25 but that treated the whole flock 17 birds, and it was a one time deal

Quote:
food grade diatomatious earth but you cant give it to the chicks!

Quote:
What was the name of the OTC medication for scabies? There is permethrin cream, but as far as I know it's not OTC, at least not in the US.

sometimes i can come off a little strong...i tend to speak first then later put my foot in my mouth
I may appear "online" but I may not really be here I leave my computer and go do mommy stuff and then come back

Isn't that the way it is always done? difficult to put your foot in your mouth WHILE you are talking. In my humble opinion

This is called Favus and it is a fungal infection that is highly contagious to your flock and to you.
Consider isolating your the two girls and quickly get Lotrimin cream or spray, make sure it has miconazole in it.

If this does not work as well as you would like try also, a Borax Solution (Mule Team) and try washing the area.

1 cup water
1 Table Spoon Borax
1 Table Spoon Hydrogen Peroxide

This solution can be diluted or made stronger as needed, use your judgement. (This solution can be used for leg mites as well as many types of human, cats dogs and barnyard animals that have either a mite or fungal infection)

If this does not work you may need an RX for griseofulvin which is made for fungal infections including ring worm.

Good Luck,

Cyn

I have twin black silkies who have been sitting on a nest together for about 3 weeks (they've had eggs for 2 wk).

In the last few days I noticed they have a scaly, crusty rash around their eyes & ear lobe. They try to scratch at it.

The rest of my flock seems fine.

13347_crusty.jpg
I am curious if anything worked for you? I have silkies and have the same issue it seems and am really worried.

I am curious if anything worked for you? I have silkies and have the same issue it seems and am really worried.
Welcome to BYC. It wouldve been better for you to start your own thread because this thread contains a lot of misinformation regarding the issue at hand.
However, the the previous poster provided the correct answer: It is Favus.
Treatment for Favus is miconazole. Wear disposable gloves when applying it. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC. It wouldve been better for you to start your own thread because this thread contains a lot of misinformation regarding the issue at hand.
However, the the previous poster provided the correct answer: It is Favus.
Treatment for Favus is miconazole. Wear disposable gloves when applying it. Good luck.
Thank you for your help! I will try that

Back
Top Bottom