Fading chick or drowning?

dlynne1123

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Just got home from being gone for the holiday and one of my day old baby chicks was lying in the waterer, cold, wet and dying. I'm unsure if I can save her. Put her inside my incubator to warm up and dry. They were all drinking and eating when I left this morning. Is this common to have a fading chick? Or do you think she aspirated?

Not sure what else I can do. I'm afraid to water her if she's not drinking bc I don't want her to aspirated more!

How is she? For the first week or so new chicks are very attracted to water, and can easily drown. Many use shallow chick waterers with marbles to keep chicks from falling asleep in the water and drowning. All you can do is to dry her off and warm her up and she may have a chance. Hoping she recovers.

Last edited:
She passed away. Not sure how long she was there poor thing. Other than her looking wet there wasn't much water in the waterer but she had bubbles from her nostrils. I also think this was one that was walking funny the day before. I figured it would take a while to get their footing song didn't bother too much. She seemed to sit farther back than the others and would tip over like a turtle! The others all seem lively.

Back
Top Bottom