Failing at Quails

Missy1317

In the Brooder
May 20, 2021
Back in January we received our first batch of Quail eggs, we had a storm lost power only one hatched and he ended up passing..our little chuck norris. We recieved 30 more eggs, only 5 hatched no power Koss. They hatched Saturday/Sunday. I am down to 1 baby quail now. The other 4 passed. 2 just this morning. I have a water in their brooder I use Dumor chick grit. Brooder temp seems to Flux between 95-100. I can't seem to figure out how to keep it stable. I use a red heat lamp. They are sending me additional eggs but at this point I'm terrified as I apparently keep failing and now I'm worried about Marvin. Little guy all alone now.

Back in January we received our first batch of Quail eggs, we had a storm lost power only one hatched and he ended up passing..our little chuck norris. We recieved 30 more eggs, only 5 hatched no power Koss. They hatched Saturday/Sunday. I am down to 1 baby quail now. The other 4 passed. 2 just this morning. I have a water in their brooder I use Dumor chick grit. Brooder temp seems to Flux between 95-100. I can't seem to figure out how to keep it stable. I use a red heat lamp. They are sending me additional eggs but at this point I'm terrified as I apparently keep failing and now I'm worried about Marvin. Little guy all alone now.
What incubator are you using? Have you calibrated extra thermometers and hygrometers? The incubators often are not entirely accurate and you need to verify it. As far as the brooder chicks, how are they dying? Quail don’t need chick grit, they just need high protein gamebird feed, try for 28%.

The water should start in a shallow bowl or jar lid, with rocks that break the surface of the water, so they have to put their beaks between the rocks to drink, but don’t get wet standing or sitting on the rocks, you want to keep them dry. I also put parakeet waterers in from the beginning so they get used to using them. After 2 days I remove the jar lids and they only have the parakeet waterer bottles.

Where are the eggs coming from? If this reship fails again, you should try a different source and see if maybe it’s the quality of the egg stock.

How big is your brooder? Put a thermometer on the floor of the brooder, under the light...should read 95 - 98°F. The temp needs to be reduced by 5°F each week until fully feathered or the ambient temp is 70°F.

Chicks don't need grit, they should be fed a complete and balanced feed of 24% protien. A 'drown proof' water should also be used until they are big enough they won't drown in a standard chick waterer.

Pics of the brooder/chicks would help give us a better idea of the issues your having with the chicks.

Ugh the tractor supply people gave me that bag. I do have some on order will be here tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210520_113156.jpg
    20210520_113156.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210520_113222.jpg
    20210520_113222.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210520_113240.jpg
    20210520_113240.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 32
So I got an alert the new eggs are out for delivery. Should I wait to put them in the incubator? I have a new one that will be delivered tomorrow.

How big is your brooder? Put a thermometer on the floor of the brooder, under the light...should read 95 - 98°F. The temp needs to be reduced by 5°F each week until fully feathered or the ambient temp is 70°F.

Chicks don't need grit, they should be fed a complete and balanced feed of 24% protien. A 'drown proof' water should also be used until they are big enough they won't drown in a standard chick waterer.

Pics of the brooder/chicks would help give us a better idea of the issues your having with the chicks.
Yup loaded photos

The food pieces look like they might be too big for the little chick. I recommend crushing it into smaller pieces.

That's been my experience too. When I've brooded quail I had to blitz the food in the blender for them.

Back
Top Bottom