Failure to thrive

Rose Quartz

Enabler
6 Years
Mar 18, 2018
East Hants N.S. Canada
I have 2 chicks with issues.

Chick 1 hatched between sunday and tuesday. It hasn't put on any weight, sleeps constantly, stumbles around with it's eyes shut. I don't have nutri-drench and won't be able to get any before the weekend I don't have a car through the week.

I did give it sugar water, made sure it had a few sips. It opened it's eyes for a few seconds and went back to sleep.

This guy has been tipping his head up and swallowing a lot, but I haven't seen him go for water or food. I did put him on the food, for a short while and when I came back he was still standing eyes shut stumbling around whenever another chick pushed past.

Chick 2 hatched 3 days later than the main group. It's barely a day old, but it seems to be having issues. It skuttles around shivering.

I also gave this chick sugar water it perked up almost instantly, but aside from cheeping a few times still acts the same.

I have 43 chicks total all hatched by me, the other 41 are all healthy and active. I've divided them into 2 pens now to make it easier on the two that are having a hard time.

Is there anything more I can do, or just wait? I kind of expect to find them dead in the morning.

Some chicks just exhibit failure to thrive. Perhaps congenital problems cause them to be 'late hatchers' with metabolic problems. Some will survive and eventually grow - some will not. Such birds should not be used in the breeding program. Electrolytes, vitamins, sugar water all may serve to give them the necessary boost. Hope that they are still alive and improved.

Some chicks just exhibit failure to thrive. Perhaps congenital problems cause them to be 'late hatchers' with metabolic problems. Some will survive and eventually grow - some will not. Such birds should not be used in the breeding program. Electrolytes, vitamins, sugar water all may serve to give them the necessary boost. Hope that they are still alive and improved.
Thank you for your reply, they made it though the night, but haven't improved.

Back
Top Bottom