Failure to thrive?

celebratelife

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
I just brought home a new 2 day old silkie to meet her new sisters, a 2 week old and a 4 week old. New girlie is very vocal, doesn't settle down well like the others did. She has been with them all day, and they do let her cuddle under their wings, but sometimes they just avoid her. (they are in a tote together with a heat lamp). She hasn't shown any interest in eating or drinking, and tonight I was sad to find her butt just packed solid with hard dry poo. I soaked it and got most of it off, I am pretty sure, but I am just worried she's not thriving. I just got her this morning. Is it just baby-days? The other two were so much easier! Any advice would be great!!
-concerned
hu.gif

I've got my first baby chicks and one got a little packed bottom one day. I did as you did. I used a warm cloth and also a cotton ball dampened with warm water. I would check to see if her little butt is inflamed. You might research if there is something to put on it. Mine are 2 weeks and one day old and they have settled down pretty good. They were really freaked by the box, the ride and then the smaller space. It is big enough for them but they were living in a big water tank with 70 other chicks.

I think she is probably really stressed. Was she living with lots of chicks when you got her? And what type home? A big tank? When you say tote, do you the rubber tub? Or a cloth tote? Think about how far the lamp was from her before and if that is drastically different.

One of mine didn't seem to be doing well and someone here told me to boil an egg and mash it up. My stove isn't working so I scrambled an egg in the microwave and then smashed it to bits. I stirred it a lot when it cooked also. I let it cool and divided it in the feeder and everyone went crazy. The little one filled up and has thrived since then. I give them an egg every other day now.

I hope I've helped you. I've been stressed just by having them because I have never had them. When I grew up, we had them but the hens took care of them. Pat

I've got my first baby chicks and one got a little packed bottom one day. I did as you did. I used a warm cloth and also a cotton ball dampened with warm water. I would check to see if her little butt is inflamed. You might research if there is something to put on it. Mine are 2 weeks and one day old and they have settled down pretty good. They were really freaked by the box, the ride and then the smaller space. It is big enough for them but they were living in a big water tank with 70 other chicks.

I think she is probably really stressed. Was she living with lots of chicks when you got her? And what type home? A big tank? When you say tote, do you the rubber tub? Or a cloth tote? Think about how far the lamp was from her before and if that is drastically different.

One of mine didn't seem to be doing well and someone here told me to boil an egg and mash it up. My stove isn't working so I scrambled an egg in the microwave and then smashed it to bits. I stirred it a lot when it cooked also. I let it cool and divided it in the feeder and everyone went crazy. The little one filled up and has thrived since then. I give them an egg every other day now.

I hope I've helped you. I've been stressed just by having them because I have never had them. When I grew up, we had them but the hens took care of them. Pat

First make sure she can poop. As that will do her in if she can't. For a jump start add 1 tbs of sugar per quart or litre of water and lower the heat lamp a bit. The reason is to increase it's metabolism. It can get short bursts of heat instead of needing long durations of heat. The more it's awake and fueled up by the sugar the more it will eat, drink and run around. I don't know if you give vitamins and electrolytes as well but that would be helpful every time you have chicks.
Good luck.

She came straight from the hatchery and kept in a box with only about 10 other chicks, and she came home to only two. They are in a large plastic storage tote with mesh on top.
I did get a LOT of that ick off her li'l behind, and she did a fresh poop right after - I think it was satisfying lol. I gave her another booty soak today with a little olive oil to soothe the area. This morning when I got up she was eating and drinking and moving about, still a little loud-mouth, but oh well :) The egg was a GREAT suggestion, by the way. I scrambled it as you did, and she, and the other girls, gobbled it up! Thank you thank you for the suggestions and encouragement. We still have a ways to go, but we are on the up-swing! :)

Alright Probiotic in the water and feed your chicks a hard boiled egg just remove the shell and mash with a fork then serve this will give your chicks everything they need but if you do not see any improvement in a couple of days you have a bigger problem .....

What kind of feed are you using ?????

Have you put anything in the water ?????

Back
Top Bottom