fainting chick?

Lil'ChickFarm

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Ok, my chicks are in their new baby tractor. The first day out, the shade moved and I went out to move them. I noticed one kept falling on one leg. Then I noticed that they were all panting. So I got them out of the sun right away. It was pretty hot out that day.
They have been in the shade since and I even have a tarp hung up in case any of their shade moves and I am not out there.
Today I went out to "play" with them a bit and I moved the tarp. The sun came in just a bit. The day is not even that scorching at all. It could not have over heated this chick that fast. The minute he was in the sunny spot, his left leg caved in again. He fell on his side.
I took the sun away and he was fine.
So clueless. Could the sun be hurting his eyes? I did a search and couldn't find anything on here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Did she have a wing spread out too? My chicks like to lean on one side and put a leg and wing out like they are sunning themselves. It's cute! It sounds like that may be what your chick is doing too.

Did it look like this? If it did, it was sun bathing
smile.png

chicks.jpg

Chicks and even adult chickens love to sunbathe/dustbathe. This usually causes panic in new chicken owners.
wink.png
I still go out to check on my adult roo when he falls over and starts flopping around.
gig.gif

OH MY GOSH! That is so funny. IT was sun bathing. My goodness and it scared the heck out of me. Thank you for the pictures as that is what it looked like, but it went down, came back up and kept going back down like that.

It wasn't the leg stretch with the wing. I see my parrots do that too. It was falling on it's side when one leg went down. It didn't stay down though.
WHEW!! so glad it wasn't something bad. Thank you.

I had almost the identical post the other day. I thought the bird was dead. I just couldn't figure out how it had over heated in 30 seconds of sunshine.

Back
Top Bottom