Fair price for breeding stock? 20 yrs developing silver laced Brahmas

They are a gorgeous bird. And I agree $100 almost seems cheap when you consider you have the only known source of Silver-laced Brahmas in the US. I agree start high and see how much interest they generate. You can always give price breaks for children interested in showing, and like some BYC breeders, to other BYC members as well. I would put a pair or a trio on eggbid and see how they do. Maybe start the auction a bit higher than you would price a pair ordinarily and see if the demand for such a rare and beautiful bird drives the price up. I'm sure we all remember Marans, Penedesenca, Welsummer, and Barnevelder prices several years ago. They were outrageous. And now Coronation Sussex and other varieties are taking the dollar.

I agree with the majority. $100 seems low considering how hard it was to get that perfect lacing.

Perhaps you could "donate" surplus cockerels for local kids to take to shows. That would give a chance for word of the breed to spread without denying younger generations the chance at showing them.

Then just sell pairs and trios to responsible breeders. I would say even $500 for a trio would be a bargain. BTW excellent job!

All I can say is BEAUTIFUL!!!
bow.gif

Quote:
Very true! But I was thinking big medicine was trying to keep his flock available for 4H kids and FFA kids. But yes, if they are the only ones, much higher prices definitely!

I mean good Lord! Think of what the Coronation Sussex are going for and there are people with the beginnings of their own flocks!

I'm the only one with them as far as I know. Pictures have been posted on poultry web sites from around the world, there were rumors of similar birds, but no one could confirm having seen them or photos.

At this stage I would prefer to get them in the hands of breeders who can help with the process of developing this variety. I have sold many, many nice birds that were a little off in color or type over the years. This is how it often would go, I remember one woman a few years ago picking out a nice group of very typey pullets (this was a year or two after outcrossing to a big light male) that were not completely laced but would only take a couple years to get the lacing back. Anyway, I was eyeing a nice cockerel that I thought would work well to get her a good start on a flock of potental silver laced of her own. "No I've already got a nice silkie rooster that we really like." I could have cried, but I'd already picked out my keepers and these were the extras.

I am going to be bringing some to the Ohio National this weekend in Columbus. I wanted to get a feel what folks thought would be a reasonable price.

Quote:
Very true! But I was thinking big medicine was trying to keep his flock available for 4H kids and FFA kids. But yes, if they are the only ones, much higher prices definitely!

I mean good Lord! Think of what the Coronation Sussex are going for and there are people with the beginnings of their own flocks!

I'm the only one with them as far as I know. Pictures have been posted on poultry web sites from around the world, there were rumors of similar birds, but no one could confirm having seen them or photos.

At this stage I would prefer to get them in the hands of breeders who can help with the process of developing this variety. I have sold many, many nice birds that were a little off in color or type over the years. This is how it often would go, I remember one woman a few years ago picking out a nice group of very typey pullets (this was a year or two after outcrossing to a big light male) that were not completely laced but would only take a couple years to get the lacing back. Anyway, I was eyeing a nice cockerel that I thought would work well to get her a good start on a flock of potental silver laced of her own. "No I've already got a nice silkie rooster that we really like." I could have cried, but I'd already picked out my keepers and these were the extras.

I am going to be bringing some to the Ohio National this weekend in Columbus. I wanted to get a feel what folks thought would be a reasonable price.

Oh no I am going to Ohio Nationals this could be the end of me
lol.png
well it will be cool to see them in person.

Henry

Quote:

Are you bringing them to the OH National to sell, or to show? Would love to see them. Let me know if they'll be in the sale cages or show cages. We'll be there around 2 pm tomorrow.

And I think $100 per bird is not too much to ask at all.

Quote:

SERIOUSLY?! Well, I guess I've not put back enough money for Nationals this weekend! *off to sell something*

Back
Top Bottom