Fair price for breeding stock? 20 yrs developing silver laced Brahmas

big medicine

custom Brahmas
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
Ohio
After 20 years, raising thousands of birds, and I don't want to know how many tons of feed. I have these birds to the point where I will be for the first time be offering breeding stock to serious breeders (or dedicated hobbyist) who wish to continue with their development . I would like to see them get popular and eventually be accepted by the APA. Now the big question, what in your opinion would be a resonable price to ask for a start of these birds?

Here are photos of this springs breeding pen.They are breeding true.
24364_chicken_pics-_craigslist_207.jpg

24364_chicken_pics-_craigslist_139.jpg

24364_chicken_pics-_craigslist_212.jpg

Last edited:
Silver laced brahmas, very nice. I can only begin to imagine the time and energy this took. The price is all dependent on how many people you can get/or find that are interested in the breed/variety. I personally think asking $100 a pair is more than fair, but at the same time, you are wanting them accepted into the APA, so you are going to need a vast group of breeders. Do you know of anyone else that is working with this variety?

I think at least $100 dollars a pair is fair. This is bigger then the light and cornation sussex because you made these yourself!!

Last edited:
I don't know what they are worth (a lot I'm sure) but I just wanted to say congrats on a successful twenty year project. I don't know if I would have had the patience.
thumbsup.gif

In order for a new breed to be accepted into the APA and I am sure you know all this, is to have a certain amount of people show these birds in APA shows and gather a certain Number of points. I own some Brahmas and like the looks of your silvers, very nice job on them, your a dedicated man. I too am embarking on something similar as far as developing a new breed and am looking forward to the commitment.

I would ask $ 50.00 pr until next breeding season then go to $75.00. you still will have the parent stock and that will be worth a bunch. A word of caution is be very wary what Show breeders you deal with as these breeders love to ruin a breed for their own amusement, it is well documented and I want to see your hard work flourish not be flush down the tube. Just imagine a show breeder thinking, Hey this breed of bird would look great with purple feet and bamm there goes your work.

AL

Back
Top Bottom