Fair price for breeding stock? 20 yrs developing silver laced Brahmas

I would gladly pay $100 for a dozen eggs from such gorgeous. . . GORGEOUS. . .birds!
smile.png
If you ever decide to sell please put me on your list. I would love to carry on the care of such beautiful birds!

seems like you have worked up a pretty good lather in terms of interest right here on BYC. I think you have something pretty special there. I have no real sense of the overall value. Pretty apparent you got folks ready to go at 100 per pair.

If it were me I would emulate the marketing syle (seemed darn successful to me) of the folks on Eggbid that marketed their coronation sussex. Grow a trio up a bit put them up there and see where the market lands. I am not sure I would send eggs to every one that wants them until you have established some market value

There is no better way to find the value of something than to allow interested folks to bid on them.

I hope they sell for a whole big ole hatful of money

Quote:
That is entirley different if you are taking them to a show where you will have a lot of very sophisticated breeders looking at them. They can give you input and you can more or less pick who you will sell them to. That will help you also. there I think you can go for what you feel right asking but I would sure give that eggbid deal a shot and see where it land.s

I personally do not think selling eggs is a good idea. We all know that no matter how good the parents are they can still throw junk we would not use in our breeding programs. By only selling started birds you at least have control over the quality that is leaving your place.

Greathorse If you do decide to do eggs please add me to your list. I bet you are nervous but I wish you lots of luck and good times. As I said earlier I have never seen a need to visit Ohio but I would gladly for those amazing birds!!!

Interesting, I had heard rumors of similar birds from down under, but could not get conformation. I would love to see photos, and correspond with the breeder, to see what route was taken to get his or her birds. Please PM me if you can help me out.

Last edited:
Have you entered them into any shows? Before I priced them I would have proof that they were bred to standard. I know the APA has not sanctioned the silver lacing variety, but judges will still give you best in breed ,if your birds are closer to the standards then the others Brahmas.

A good example for people interested in showing, is the BLRW in the US. While many of the breeders have done a phenomenal job getting the lacing down, they birds , when put up against show stock wyandottes, will get clobbered. The backs are to long , chest to flat , butt to narrow, etc. When developing to a variety , you must make sure you match the breed standard.

I think sir you are to be congratulated on your endeavor , you have produced a beautiful bird, that apparently will reproduce itself, all offspring will have the same basic characteristics, an incredible feat, something I would never have the patience for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom