Fair price for breeding stock? 20 yrs developing silver laced Brahmas

Quote:
Same time, same station. I was shooting for a little earlier, but it took me longer to put it together than I figured.

Last edited:
Quote:
Same time, same station.

woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

hide.gif
I couldn't watch.

Just curious if the barefoot rain dance had more to do with that truly rare opportunity to say "See honey, I was right!"
lol.png

Your blue laced are on my "When I retire list."

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Maybe in the fall, when I cut down to winter numbers. Let the young birds develop, let the hens moult out after being in the breeding pens.

With the cost of the big shipping boxes, and actual shipping cost of birds of this size, I will also try to deliver to shows locally.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Maybe in the fall, when I cut down to winter numbers. Let the young birds develop, let the hens moult out after being in the breeding pens.

With the cost of the big shipping boxes, and actual shipping cost of birds of this size, I will also try to deliver to shows locally.

Do you think your going to go to the OH National again. Maybe show?

I have not missed the Ohio National in many years, just to walk around, drool, and study what good birds should look like. Talk to some folks I've come to know over the years. I have brought a few birds home, over the years, involved in some of my projects. As for showing, I haven't. I am not set up to quarantine birds coming back from shows. All my birds share one coop, that can be divided into three pens. On the rare occasion I do bring in outside blood, I have to quaratine them in the garage, which does not make the little lady happy, let alone a show string. If I had my druthers, and the funds to back it up, I would have a seperate quarantine/medic coop, a seperate brooder coop, and more breeding pen capacity. If I did, I would be working on Brahmas in partridge, blue partridge, blue lights, blue buffs, and some of the other colors that have popped up during these projects. Showing the ones I thought merited it.

But back to your question, barring high water, I plan on being in Columbus this November. Actually I imagine I will be there more often, OSUman you will be pleased to know my daughter will begin matriculating on the banks of the Olentangy this fall.

Great job on your project Big Medicine. I saw them posted on and English board to OOOoo and Aaaawww over.

Quote:
Gather your druthers, pull up your bloomers, and use some of these auction funds to campaign these babies! If you are going to sell some this fall anyhow, how about you try this:
1) enter a decent cockerel and a decent pullet in the show in AOV class
2) sell said pullet and cockerel at the show so you don't have to bring them home and quarantine.

This kills a couple birds. First, if the quality is there the judges and other exhibitors will definitely take note. Secondly, it gets them in the showring and perhaps, if more people end up showing this variety as AOV, they could be recognized. Thirdly, you will sell birds.

Good luck.

PS, entry fees are cheap. Consider it an inexpensive marketing strategy.

Last edited:
I'm still fooling around with them. Had a little setback with them a couple years back. Vulture hocks had been an issue from the beginning,due to their Cochin heritage. Over the years I had it down to the point I thought I was close to, or hopefully had removed it completely from my flock. Unfortunately one of the males I used in the 2010 breeding pens must have carried a hidden copy of this recessive trait, as well as at least one female. This resulted in a resurgance of hock issues among some birds in my flock, and unfortunately also in some chicks from the eggs I had sold. As a result I did not breed, or sell, any silver laced last year.

What I did do was get a nice light Brahma male to put over a few of my better silver laced hens. My plan this year is to put the best cockerel from this cross over a pen of the best pullets from this cross, and some of my better silver laced hens. My thinking here with the outcross is as long as I am going outside to try to clean up the hock issues, might as well hopefully also improve size and type a little. One long lasting feature from their Cornish heritage has been a rather pinched tail. The light male I used has a nice open inverted U shaped tail. Potentially, if all goes as hoped this may actually improve the line in the long run.

For the most part, the folks who recieved eggs from me have been very good about culling any sign of vulture hock in their birds, and for the most part, very good about not spreading compromised breeding stock to others. Hopefully I can get this worked out shortly and help repay their patience and diligence.

Here is one of the contenders to make this years breeding pens.

Back
Top Bottom