Fair trade - # of chickens for processing all?

Wildsky

Wild Egg!
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
California
I found someone who will "help" process meat chickens if I get them.
(I don't have the heart to chop off heads)

This person said he'd come over and help, and in trade keep some of the chickens we've processed.

How many would be a fair trade?

If I bought and took care of say 25 chickens.... how many should I let him keep after processing?

You might want to ask the person how many they wanted for doing the job. I just had someone help me with 25 and figured on giving him 5 but when I asked him he only wanted 2. He thought that was more than enough for the work he had to do. I have decided next year to add a few more to the order for him.

Thanks guys! I was thinking my idea of around 5 would be too LITTLE.

I will ask this guy to make sure its ok with him before I do any ordering..... perhaps if he wants MORE than 5 he can put in some $$$ for food or something.

I'm happy to split the 25 down the middle if he'll put up some $$ toward food etc.

A local butcher will do ours for 2.25 each, including vacuum-packing them. I'd rather pay that than trade, I can't raise them for that! I'd say figure out what you have invested in the birds for purchase price and feed and then how much you'd be willing to pay in cash to have someone else do the job.

Quote:
We'll be helping, he won't be doing it all alone.

In his words he said him and my hubby can do the killing and plucking - I guess that means I'll do the rest, I will also pack all the chickens up with my vacuum sealer thing.

Quote:
Next door neighbor, and he works with my hubby.... well he lives on the other side of the pasture from us.... (a horse ride away
gig.gif
)

Last edited:
Oh, I see, there will be 3 people doing the work! I thought you meant just you and the volunteer. With 3 people the work would go much faster and then yes 5 is fair trade.

Back
Top Bottom