Fairly new at raising ducks need advice about ducklings

Nikki7842

Hatching
Dec 24, 2015
I started raising ducks starting in spring my 18 ducks grew up splended!!! I have 9 females 9 males they don't attack and each othe. We have been pretty good about about picking up eggs. One day I realized while feeding the ducks that one was missing I end up finding it in the corner of our shed (where they sleep at night) laying on eggs. So I was wandering are they going to be alright? I been monitoring the eggs it looks like they are about 12 days in so I don't know what to do? Plus I live in Nebraska but it has been a mild winter so far. Any tips are welcome!!! We do keep the shed heated and closed at night.

I started raising ducks starting in spring my 18 ducks grew up splended!!! I have 9 females 9 males they don't attack and each othe. We have been pretty good about about picking up eggs. One day I realized while feeding the ducks that one was missing I end up finding it in the corner of our shed (where they sleep at night) laying on eggs. So I was wandering are they going to be alright? I been monitoring the eggs it looks like they are about 12 days in so I don't know what to do? Plus I live in Nebraska but it has been a mild winter so far. Any tips are welcome!!! We do keep the shed heated and closed at night.
If your going to let your duck hatch out ducklings you will need to make her a safe spot inside with temp fencing that way when the ducklings hatch none of the others will be able to harm or kill the ducklings. And yes they can and do this. So make her a safety zone inside the shed. put food and water in for her. Honestly you don't need heat inside your coop and it can actually harm your ducks if they get so use to heat and then your power goes out and the temps plummet. How many eggs is she on? that may make a difference on how well they do since if there are alot mom may not be able to keep them all warm once they hatch. Then you may need to supplement heat. But I would keep a close watch on temps and make sure she is being a good mom sometimes first timers aren't so good at caring for their ducklings and
we have to step in and brood so you may want to have a brooder ready just in case. I always give mine a chance at it and so far have only had to step in once. Oh and don't forget ducks[mature fully featherd ducks] are wearing a down coat under their feathers if given an nice secure non drafty shed for night and bad weather they will be fine with out heat.

@Nikki7842 Welcome to BYC!!

Last edited:
Thank you Lydia for the reply.You don't know how much of a relief to know that they will be okay she is lieing on 17 eggs but I only see activity in 9. She seems really good she rarely leaves the nest even though I bring her food and water.

Thank you Lydia for the reply.You don't know how much of a relief to know that they will be okay she is lieing on 17 eggs but I only see activity in 9. She seems really good she rarely leaves the nest even though I bring her food and water.
9 should be fine and always a possibility some of those may not make it to hatch, but we'll sure hope so. Please keep us updated on how things are going . Matter of fact next time you candle take the ones that aren't any good out that way she can devote all her warmth on keeping the viable ones at a good even heat.

Back
Top Bottom