To duckling or to not duckling....?

Mrs Fryzzle

Chirping
Mar 16, 2023
Downeast, Maine
I had a duck flock of 5, 2 males 3 female. I gave one drake away due his being overly affectionate, with one duck. So, my flock shrank to 4. My male just recently dissappeared- fox or owl I suspect. So, then 3 females. But one pekin fell ill and passed away in 2 days. I am still not sure what happened that it was soooo quick! ... problem walking, etc one day, died the next. I will figure this out.
My immediate problem is that I now have lonely females, calling out for their fallen family. I was planning on expanding the flock this spring for summer, but I don't think I want to wait so long. We have Maine's winter coming up, and altho we have a great covered run, and there are chickens and geese to keep everyone busy... ducks need ducks to snuggle with, to keep warm, chat with, and make up their flock dynamics.
1) Should I get some baby ducklings: take 4-6 wks to grow enough feathers to be outside, let alone put them in the middle of winter (January2024)
2) Adopt grown ducks: I have been looking online, but am not having any luck around me. Possible an adoption process that will take a month anyway...
3) Wait 'till spring, and do normal process...

Any tips on raising duckling in Winter? Introducing ducklings or young ducks to small flock in winter?

thanks!

I received my 4 Runner ducklings in mid-September and had them inside for 6 weeks thankfully the weather cooperated and I was able to move them out in the coop but to get them acclimated I took them outside daily. I don't know how you'd do that in Maine in the dead of winter it would be hard on them and you. Have you looked into rescues around Maine I think Majestic water fowl rescue is somewhere in the New England states. Maybe they would have a female or 2. Then you'll have to do a see-no-touch situation for a few days to a week or more to get everyone used to each other before putting them all together. It's harder to integrate 1 bird than a few.

I'm not sure about Maine in January, but my 2 purchased unfeathered goslings were out with the gaggle with a light dusting of snow (z6.) The adults didn't get that babies need warmth so they just cuddled with each other. Checked on them often and they were fine.

....personally I would be looking for young adults to integrate this time of the year, esp if you are flexible on varieties.

I have a group of welsh mixes that I’m trying to sell rn (wish I was closer to you but I’m on the W coast)

I bought “purebred” ducklings off Craigslist summer 2022 ....and they are not purebred.
Close, but, once they grew up, there are obvious crosses.

I hatch and sell ducklings, so it matters to me. I bought new babies from a hatchery I trust last summer, and they are now old enough that the “older” group can move on.

They are young, healthy, and laying.
So know that you have a chance!!

I would look at Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and local to you duck groups/ pages on FB, and maybe post an ISO / WTB add on all of those forums.

You can also look here to see if you have a “Maine” page?

You could also post something at your local feed store(s) if they have bulletin boards.

Best of luck on your search!!

....personally I would be looking for young adults to integrate this time of the year, esp if you are flexible on varieties.

I have a group of welsh mixes that I’m trying to sell rn (wish I was closer to you but I’m on the W coast)

I bought “purebred” ducklings off Craigslist summer 2022 ....and they are not purebred.
Close, but, once they grew up, there are obvious crosses.

I hatch and sell ducklings, so it matters to me. I bought new babies from a hatchery I trust last summer, and they are now old enough that the “older” group can move on.

They are young, healthy, and laying.
So know that you have a chance!!

I would look at Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and local to you duck groups/ pages on FB, and maybe post an ISO / WTB add on all of those forums.

You can also look here to see if you have a “Maine” page?

You could also post something at your local feed store(s) if they have bulletin boards.

Best of luck on your search!!
those are all great ideas! I am trying some of those- facebook, and the Maine to good home, and local with not much luck. But, I will check out your other ideas.
If I order the ducklings will mose likely come from there or Ohio- coincidentally. I wish we were closer too- would be a great fix, I am looking at Appleyards, Welsh H, a runner, and a Magpie in 'the cart'. Good luck to you too!

first I want to dry sorry for your losses
As for the girl they fell sick and died quickly
Either egg bound or got into something she shouldn’t
I lost one ti eating a penny and it happened very fast
I don’t have Pennie’s but they dig and she must have got it from the ground

I also hatched ( dec 24-28) 5 babies. I had to keep them inside until spring
That was a lot of work
Never again !! I love them dearly but my incubators get put away by July now 😆
Either finding some older or just waiting to hatch till spring
They have each other as well as other birds to keep company for now if you do wait

I'm not sure about Maine in January, but my 2 purchased unfeathered goslings were out with the gaggle with a light dusting of snow (z6.) The adults didn't get that babies need warmth so they just cuddled with each other. Checked on them often and they were fine.
I was thinking about this, with a compbination of advise from the others.... If I get them, and take them out to the group daily to meet and merge a little- perhaps the older ladies will look at taking them in, or under them as it were. If not- they may just do as you say, and snuggle with the younger additions at least, as new flock members.thank y
first I want to dry sorry for your losses
As for the girl they fell sick and died quickly
Either egg bound or got into something she shouldn’t
I lost one ti eating a penny and it happened very fast
I don’t have Pennie’s but they dig and she must have got it from the ground

I also hatched ( dec 24-28) 5 babies. I had to keep them inside until spring
That was a lot of work
Never again !! I love them dearly but my incubators get put away by July now 😆
Either finding some older or just waiting to hatch till spring
They have each other as well as other birds to keep company for now if you do wait
thank you so much! That is exactly something I was thinking- all around.
I really like this, and frankly- I suspect it will go the same way. These girls are looking for company and are very open ... it was the drake that kept others away. Soooo... I'm hoping for the best. ANd then there's El Nino- with a warmer winter..... who knows.

I had a duck flock of 5, 2 males 3 female. I gave one drake away due his being overly affectionate, with one duck. So, my flock shrank to 4. My male just recently dissappeared- fox or owl I suspect. So, then 3 females. But one pekin fell ill and passed away in 2 days. I am still not sure what happened that it was soooo quick! ... problem walking, etc one day, died the next. I will figure this out.
My immediate problem is that I now have lonely females, calling out for their fallen family. I was planning on expanding the flock this spring for summer, but I don't think I want to wait so long. We have Maine's winter coming up, and altho we have a great covered run, and there are chickens and geese to keep everyone busy... ducks need ducks to snuggle with, to keep warm, chat with, and make up their flock dynamics.
1) Should I get some baby ducklings: take 4-6 wks to grow enough feathers to be outside, let alone put them in the middle of winter (January2024)
2) Adopt grown ducks: I have been looking online, but am not having any luck around me. Possible an adoption process that will take a month anyway...
3) Wait 'till spring, and do normal process...

Any tips on raising duckling in Winter? Introducing ducklings or young ducks to small flock in winter?

thanks!
So sorry for the loss of your ducks. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom