Fairy egg...again

Oct 17, 2020
So I received my first fairy egg from our ducks yesterday but I also got one today. Should I be worried or is this normal? At what point would it be concerning? They all eat plenty of layer feed and forage the yard. This is everyone's first time laying but only 1 has given me fairy eggs

It’s totally normal! Especially with new layers. It occurs when a foreign object (usually a pice of tissue) is mistaken as a yolk, and has a shell and all formed around it. Nothing to do with what they are eating. :)
If your “fairy eggs” have yolks in them, then they’re not fairy eggs, rather just super small eggs. An immature yolk was released and your result was a tiny little egg!

Last edited:
I cracked them open for my son (he wanted to eat them for breakfast). They ended up each having a tiny yolk. The big yolk is from our largest chicken. A bantam polish vs the 2 tiny yolks from our duck lol

Attachments

• 20210128_071055.jpg
    20210128_071055.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 4
If your “fairy eggs” have yolks in them, then they’re not fairy eggs, rather just super small eggs. An immature yolk was released and your result was a tiny little egg!
And yes, those eggs are safe to eat. The last time I got one, I cooked a tiny omelet and gave it to my chicks 🤣. You can eat it too, But of course it’s a little small for breakfast.

I cracked them open for my son (he wanted to eat them for breakfast). They ended up each having a tiny yolk. The big yolk is from our largest chicken. A bantam polish vs the 2 tiny yolks from our duck lol
Cute! They’re immature yolks. I think those eggs are better than fairy eggs because it’s fun to make tiny treats! Like I just posted, it’s totally safe to eat them, but they aren't always developed enough to make a great breakfast.

He had 2 tiny eggs and a chicken egg for breakfast with some banana bread and water. Hes a pretty good eater and will more than likely ask for more food in about an hour lol the joys of a growing 5 yr old.

He had 2 tiny eggs and a chicken egg for breakfast with some banana bread and water. Hes a pretty good eater and will more than likely ask for more food in about an hour lol the joys of a growing 5 yr old.
Good to hear! Did you get pics of the eggs before you cracked them open? It’s always fun to document that stuff. Here’s a pic of a HUGE duck egg I got once. I don’t know how many yolks were in it but it was certainly massive!
C6FAB7B3-A98F-4800-8E21-927D569D7F03.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom