Fairy egg or Silkie egg?

Missjlee4377

Songster
Feb 26, 2020
Southeastern Ontario, Canada
Got this little cutie today, I've never picked up a blue egg of this size and I only have two Azure blue layers, with winter settling in I'm not always getting everyone's rent daily so I'm not sure if this is Junes and Leias OR Junes and one of my silkies? (Big blue is DEF Junes, she's always laid whoppers)
The silkies are just starting to lay regularly, they're a few months younger than the rest if the flock. I didn't think silkies would lay anything but white/brown, so probably unlikely one of my fluff butts I'm assuming.

Just thought I'd ask, not sure if its answerable haha

Junes egg, mystery egg, silkie egg.

20201217_111303.jpg

Thanks! So fairy egg basically means no yolk. I suppose I could have done some research, its just the smallest egg I've picked up and it threw me off when it was smaller than the silkies, so I was curious 🙂 thanks again

This is what I consider to be a faerie egg.
No yolk in there?
Man, that's a loooong one!

So fairy egg basically means no yolk.
Sometimes eggs are just small...could be a glitch.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Last edited:
No yolk in there.
Man, that's a loooong one!

Sometimes eggs are just small...could be a glitch.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:
It was a ridiculous one. She’s not even a pullet, she’s 2 years old. She just decided to take a half day, I suppose. Slacker.

Just thought I'd update!
After some intense monitoring the past few days I can confirm %100 that its actually one of my silkie girls laying the itty bitty blue! She's a pretty lady and I'll try to post a pic when the lighting is a bit better outside. But kinda neat to come across as I really wasn't expecting anything other than the cream or brown color range I'd been getting from my other silkies. Sadly, I just lost one of my Azure blue layers last month so how pleasant to have a mini replacement to keep the color ratio up haha!
20201226_070351.jpg

Attaching an image of a fairy egg, for reference. If it doesn't have a yolk, it's a fairy egg. If it does, it could be a regular egg from a bantam/ pullet that's just started laying (gets larger within a short time).

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_160115__01.jpg
    IMG_20210119_160115__01.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom