Fake eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl4513, Aug 3, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I've read posts where people are trying fake eggs in the laying boxes... just where do you get these fake eggs? What are they made of? I've never had to use fake eggs in all the years I've had chickies. I was just curious about them.

2. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Personally, I'm using golf balls.

You can try the plastic eggs that they sell around Easter time (put some sand in them to give them some weight).

Or, you can find wooden eggs, which I'm guessing is the more expensive option.

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Try some craft stores.We have a one called Hobby Lobby.I bought some paper mache eggs 3 for a dollar.They also had wooden & porcilein (sp?) eggs,cost more.
    I think McMurray sells some but they want $$$.

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I use wooden eggs from a craft store. They were 50 cents a piece or so.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just use egg shaped rocks [​IMG]

6. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I purchased wooden eggs online from cutler's poultry supply. The website is www.cutlersupply.com
    Their blu-kote is one third the price of Mcmurrays and the wooden eggs were only 90 cents a piece. Shipping was reasonable and i didnt have to go out and hunt down the things I wanted. They had it all. Check it out.

I havent had a chance to use them because my hens went broody on me so I am waiting to use them.
    Kristyne

7. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I got mine at Cost Plus at Easter (planned ahead for a change). They haven't worked tho - silly girls are laying ON TOP of the nesting boxes![​IMG]

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Chalk eggs, old light bulbs, door knobs, golf balls, chickens are not all that bright. My dad used to whittle wooden eggs in his spare time.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by